+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waihou

Default Waihou

Hi,

Just last week the 3 wgt rod I purchased from Gus (gstrand) through FAOL arrived. So, I just had to try it out. My wife and I headed out of Auckland, and 2 hours later we were fishing on the Waihou Stream just outside of Tirau. The fish are generally small in this stream (at least, all the ones I've ever caught or even seen caught have been small; 6-8 inches type thing). Anyway, I had a play and it was a lot of fun. Also, this was the first time I had a chance to try out Betty's blue spider fly. I don't have any snipe feathers, so I tend to tie them with darker hackle. Regardless, I had 3 hits, two of which hooked up and one was landed (in the 6-8 inch range). The other hook up was also a small one, so I slack lined it and it was able to get free. The other required assisstance.

So, I was very pleased as the first day with the new rod was a success (as was the first try of the blue spider).

The next day (a few hours ago actually), we went to the top of the river, where it is exceptionally clear. The fish are very spooky here. Vanessa had one strike (on either a dark Montreal or an Alveon streamer) and I had a rise to either a dark Montreal or a soldier palmer (we were both fishing two fly teams of wee wets, so it's hard to be sure which was drawing interest).

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Gus for the rod (it is a lot of fun, and I'm very pleased with it) and to Betty (for the new fly; just so you know, I was the only one to get any hits yesterday, and I had no luck with any other fly either. It may end up becomming a go to fly for that water!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

It's always a kick to hear that a fly I so love to tie and fish works for someone else!! And to boot, a place that sounds so exotic, half way around the world!!

The little snipe and blue will get a good workout the next three weeks while we're in South Dakota. Thank you Bill (Snipe) Lavris!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi Betty,

I've only seen snipe feathers in photo's of already made flies. The hackles appear anything from light to dark grey. Is that correct? And, if so, do you tie yours with a lighter or darker hackle? At the moment, I've been tying them with Royal Blue floss bodies, and very dark (almost black) hackels. They seem to work well so I'll continue using them (and will try lighter hackles as well), but I'm curious to know what version is closest to a "real" snipe and blue?

- Jeff

Jeff,
    Most of mine are tied with UNI-floss "Doc.Blue" and hackled with snipe that is a soft bluish gray, from the underside of the wing. My go to fly! Another hot color to try is orange with a partridge hackle.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks Betty! That "soft blue/grey" is sort of what I thought, but wanted to double check. I'm a big fan of the north country spider flies, and have all sorts of colour/hackle combinations. However, I cannot find snipe in any of my local fly shops, and only recently found some blue floss (UNI floss's royal blue). I had luck awhile back with some white bodied, white hackled (hen hackle), pale yellow head spider. Not sure what the fish were taking it as, but it was the only fly working that day. Hmmm, should have tried it again this last trip, but I was keen to try the blue ones.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread