+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overline a 2 weight rod?

Blog Entries

Default overline a 2 weight rod?

Those of you that have a Forecast 6'6" 2 weight: do you like it with a 2 or 3wt line on it. I have a Cortland DT 3 line for mine, still in the box. Wondering if I should exchange it for a DT2?

Thanks, Greg

By golly,,, why not just call Batson and ask them? They are nice folks and fish a lot too.

I as a general rule, drop one weight when using a Double Taper Line. Reason is, that there no running line after the first 30 feet, so if you cast more than 30 feet of line, the weight increases at a greater ratio.

This just a general rule, depending on how the fly rod action, response to the type and weight of fly line.

Just as it is a general rule to determine the size tippet, by dividing the hook size by 3, where a size 16 hook would use a 5X tippet.

Several of my fishing buddies and I have rods built on this blank and we all fish WF3F lines on them. I fish a Rio Grande on mine, not sure what the other guys are fishing other than WF3F. I can't do it consistently but the guy who has built all our rods can cast 50'-60' with my rig. This blank builds a pretty gutsy 2 weight, one of my buddies caught a ~18" channel cat on his!

If you are going to buy a 2 wgt rod then use a 2 wgt line on it. Most companys know and tell you what line fishes the best of a given rod. People "THINK" they know better than the rod companys. Guess what they for the most part don't. Use a DT 2 on it and you will have a good outfit. Rememebr that DT's are the best lines for rods from 2 through 5 wgt rods. WF lines are ok but you can do a lot more with a DT line in these sizes than you can with a WF line. I start using WF lines when I get to the 6 wgt's Then I am throwing larger flies and fishing in windy areas or on bigger rivers. Why have to shoot a 40 foot cast with a WF when you can lay down a soft cast of that length with a DT. Ron

Blog Entries

It sounds like the 3wt line will be the way to go, that way I'll be able to cast 50'-60' too! Honestly, I got the double taper because I think I'll probably not cast more than 30' with this rod, nor will I need to on the little creeks it's for.

Thanks, Greg

See the following link for an article on this website about the real differences between DT and WF lines.

www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html

Note that the bellies on WF lines usually extend well past 30 feet so the difference between DT and WF on short casts with standard DT and WF lines is fairly minimal if any at all. I have an S.A Ultra 3 4wt DT and 4wt WF and there is no discernable difference until about 32 feet and I don't find any difference in performance until about 40 feet. If you look at S.A.'s specs for say the GPX series, you will see that the DT and WF lines are the same for the first 28 to 34 feet (2 to 6 wt lines), and with the rear taper on the WF extending a few feet more. You may find a greater differnce due to choosing different fly lines such as S.A.'s Trout vs GPX vs XPS for example.

The difference between a 2wt and a 3wt line on your rod won't be that significant. You will have to extend a few more feet of line of 2wt line (like 3-5 feet) to have the same mass of line to load the rod compared to a 3wt.

You are hardly "overlining" the rod. But going to a 3wt line, you will just get an equivalent load on the rod with less line as compared to a 2wt line.

The 3wt should just be fine.

Blog Entries

RonMT,
    I wasn't avoiding your advise, we must have been typing at the same time and you got in before I did. Truthfully, I will probably never airealize the 2 wt even 20' in these locations, brushy creeks. I agree on the points about DT lines. You don't get to the running line part of it untill you have about 35' of line out. I can cast 70' during a club contest but I have no need to cast that far for trout unless it's for stripers and then it's a 8wt.

Greg

No problem here. I was doing a casting demo at a show when the then "New" WF lines first came out. Mr Chandler was at that show and I talked to him about those new lines. I thought they were bring them out for the simlpe reason that you could cast better in the wind with them. He told me that the main reason for WF lines was that new peoiple to casting a fly rod were able to cast much better much faster. In other words they help people that can't cast well to cast Better easier.

People being people like different things. I was brought up on first level lines then the DT lines. I still feel you get a better cast with a DT line and that you get more for your money to. I know if I worked for or owned a line compnay I sure would promote the WF lines more than the old DT lines. (You will notice that the OLD DT lines are still around) They just make a lot more money on them. You can't turn them around. But like I said people will be people and what is new is "The In Thing" To buy. I got a lot of heat from one line company for saying that it's new line was way to stiff. Seems I may have been right as they have went to a softer coating now on the same line? Funny how that works. LOL. Fish what you like and be happy. I know I will. Ron

Ron, you've been posting for several years now. 'Dog gone it'; aren't you ever going to get it 'wrong'?

+ Reply to Thread