+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browns at night?

Blog Entries

Tips:

Beavers live in river banks. Stepping in a beaver hole in the dark is a great way to break a leg. Stabbing yourself in the leg with a stob is almost as bad.

Willows grow rapidly in the dark, and shrink in daylight. They eat backcasts much more readily after dark.

The Gallatin is not known for big browns, at least not BIG big browns. I used to live in Bozeman, and did the night thing a few times, and caught a few fish, but frankly, I caught a whole lot more, and a whole lot bigger, browns in broad daylight.

DG

I have caught numerous species of fish and Brown Trout are very strange sometimes. They are nocturnal, so it is like they work the graveyard shift.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Squatch,

You might try and get your hands on the book, Night Fishing for Trout, by Jim Bashline.

Allan

"Willows grow rapidly in the dark, and shrink in daylight. They eat backcasts much more readily after dark."

Do they move around then too?..

Beautiful website and pictures, Waterfox!
    Perhaps we'll bump into each other! It would be a pleasure to meet you I'm sure!

Be sure to take bear spray!!!!!

Hope it's not to late to reply, but a good headlamp is indispencable

SquatchHunter

Let me be the first to say night time fishing for big browns is the only way to go!!!!

some of this was true and some I just dont agree with..

I must first say Brown do feed at night... but not just by sound... they feed by sight, movement, and will eat anything that looks natural to then..

for instance... if you using a size 8 (dumb-bell eyed) sculpin and dragging it slow across the the bottom... what sound do that fly make???

drifting a size 10 unweighted woolly though the current (just drifting "NO" stripping)... its not making any sound..

Ive evening drifted scuds (12&14) , midges (#14) SJ worms (#12) under floats and caught fish 2 o'clock in the morning..

but Now for the most important part...

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE AREA YOUR FISHING!!!
    Any deep holes (find landmake to pinpoint them)

Nesting critter.. beavers, otters, snakes, bears.. make sure you now whats in you area..

I have a little red fox that comes out at night to see me sometime every now and then.. I guess he thinks Im going to give him a little fish.. (which I have)

As for as flies.. find out what they use the most of during the day.. and make then a couple sizes bigger..
    most people here usessize 22-16 scuds... at night I use 8-14... midges.. 24-16.. I use a 14 or 12...

sculpins I use a size 12-6.. woolies 12-4

leeches.12-2

You just have to find out whats in your waters to make it work...

Leonard..

Also what JC said ... BIG BIG browns will eat... small swimming animals.. bats, birds, ducks, chipmonks, and small dogs..

Thanks to everyone for the advice. i do know the area pretty well, and the water's just a trickle right now anyhow. My dog will let me know of any animals in the area and I will have my headlamp on. I will let you all know if i get into any bruisers.

+ Reply to Thread