+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Fly list for TX Coast Flats redfish ?

Default Starter Fly list for TX Coast Flats redfish ?

I am going to start tying for my future TX coast redfish trip. I am thinking of the Port Aransas area. I know there are hundred of flies that will catch fish, but I would very much like to tie my own. So I need to start somewhere. I would like to go fishing on the flats for Redfish etc. I am planning on a guided kayak trip or self guiding and renting a kayak.

Give me the top 5 must have flies please, with color and size!! Let's assume I am using a 7 wt rod.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I would HIGHLY reccomend a book called "Texas Saltwater Classics" By Greg Berlocher. It was published by Texas Fish and Game and you can reach them at 281-227-3001.

Of the ones listed, I'd start with the Cactus Shrimp on page 12 ( I gave him the pattern )

Then any of the crab patterns.

And of course Clousers in sizes from 2 to 1/0. I Like Chartureuse and white, and pink and white. These aren't in the book, but you can find the pattern in the FAOL fly archives.

GOT to start fishing again. It's been so long I forget which end of the rod to hold

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieJ
    I would HIGHLY reccomend a book called "Texas Saltwater Classics"

And of course Clousers in sizes from 2 to 1/0. I Like Chartureuse and white, and pink and white. These aren't
    How much weight do you all put on your clousers? Bead chain eyes? Lead dumbbells?

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I use bead chain because MOST of my fishing is in three to four feet or less. If I was fishing deeper I might go to lead eyes.

I fish the Port Aransas area myself now and then when we go down to visit my son. It is a real nice area with lot's of wading areas. If you are going down there and going to spend the money to get there a couple of things on the must have list are, the book by Chuck Scates and Phil H. Shook "FlyFishing the Texas Coast" Also get a Top Spot map for that area. Both are great to have the map being very important as it will give you the areas you can wade and how to get to them.I would also add for flies some small hard body popers and some bend back flies Both work well down there. I have fond that at times color can be important but not as important as getting the fly in the right place So the fish can see it and react to it. Blind casting does work I also like to fish drops and cuts when the tide is falling. The fish will gather there to catch baitfish being flushed out. Tide is very important so keep a watch on it.
    Do you have a Kayak? If so that will help you out a bunch. If not you can always rent one. They help by getting you to areas you can wade. You can check with some of the bait shops there to find out were and how. There is a bait shop when you cross the bridge to get to Port Aransas it is on the north east side of the road (Your Left) called South Bay Bait and Charters. There is a good area just across the channel form them to wade fish but you have to get across the channel. That is were the Kayak comes into play. You can also get to Grass Tidel Flats just by walking. It is on the south side of the same road (Your Right) but you will have to go on up the road a bit to gain excess. You can ask at the bait shop. I always buy some little something and it seems to open them up better LOL. Be careful when wadding doen there may sure to shuffle your feet. Don't walk like normal. Lots of Rays and you don't want to step on on.

One other thing. I love to fly fish more than most do but at times the wind will come up down there and if you don't have days to play with take a spinning rod with you. #8 pond test and some spoons and grub.s may save the day for you. Again just ask at the bait shops what is working. Have fun wish I was going to LOL If you catch some flounder for god sakes keep them. The best eating you can have. YUM. Check size limits. Ron

PS: There is a web-site for a fly fishing club down there I will look and see if I can find it for you. The club kinda folded I think? But they had a lot of flies for down there on it.

PSS: Here is one site that has flies for down there.

http://www.redchaser.com/saltwaterflies.htm

For the flats 3 flies :

White baitfish popper

clouser minnows Red & yellow, and white.All with appropriate flash

Feathercaft Sr Shrimp Rootbeer estaz body,camel craftfur tail barred with black & red markers, rust craft fur wing bead chain or light barbell(1/80 oz)eyes.a few strands of crystal flash accent on top of tail.For picture see feather craft online catalog pg 48

I have caught fish on all of these in that area in a size 2.

For seatrout under the lights at night the most indestructable size 8-10 simple glass minnow pattern you can find

Spoon flies on the Texas Coast can be very productive. Much of the material from the Scates book is available at GORP to whet your appetite.

Here is a site where several members are very helpful. (Texas Fly fishing group, Backwater Hawgs....

http://www.geocities.com/clinscott_pfl/ ... hawgs.html

regards,
    David

Here are a couple of sites you might like. The first being a place to rent a Kayak in Aransas.

http://www.slowrideguide.com/

This one you can read and learn about things down there. Just do some looking and you will learn a lot. It is the outdoor section of the Corpus news paper and has a lot of information for that area. Read the wading section on your left.

http://www1.caller.com/ccct/outdoors

Ron

9. Default

I am new at this how far should you be able to cast for redfish or saltwater fishing in general. I have only been able to cast 40 to 50 ft . i am sure i need more practice...

I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

+ Reply to Thread