+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article on Al

Default Article on Al

Hey Folks,

Here's a link to the story they ran about Al in the paper this morning. Thought you might like to see it.

Elliott

[url=http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2005/04/29/news/local/news06.txt:ed157]http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2005/04/29/news/local/news06.txt[/url:ed157]
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

Elliott,
    Nice article. Thank you for sharing. I never met Al, but my life has been enriched by his presence. I WILL own that book when it is published. God be with Al B as he completes it.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hey LF, will you let us know when the book is out??

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Thanks...

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Thank you Elliot for leaving use read the article--Al will be missed.

------------------

Bill

Al Campbell, was more than just a writer, teacher, mentor, and friend. Words cannot express the sadness, at the news of his death, yet I am glad that his suffering is over.

My Grandfather use to say, "Everyone brings us happiness in life, some by arriving, others by leaving!" Al brought me the joy of his companionship, as we fished together at the 1999 FAOL Fish-In, at Hill City South Dakota. Al helped me catch my first trout, he help me in making my first fly rod, he helped me as I advance in my fly tying skills. But what Al Campbell taught me most important of all, was to stop from rushing to the streamside, to start fishing the waters. Instead sit off aways, and be still and let the "Pretty Girls, show themselves!"

Al Campbell taught me not by words, as by his actions, on what it means to be a Fly Angler. To be at peace with the world, and yourself.

Rest in Peace Al, you will always be in my heart, until we meet again.

~ Parnelli

Down in the bottom of the Itty Bitty Pool.
    Swam Three Little Fishies, and a Mommy Fishy too.
    "Swim", said the Mommy Fishy, "Swim if you can!"
    And they, swam swam, all over the Dam.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 29 April 2005).]

On Al's book, Al Beatty has taken on the job of finishing it as he has the expertize to do that, and offered out of respect for Al. It will be published by Frank Amato Publications, and it generally takes about a year from the time the final draft is submitted. We all thought it would be a nice living memorial to Al. There is a lot of work to be done, so this won't be an instant thing - but I promise you all will be the first to know when it is available.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

The story of life
    is quiker than the wink of an eye
    the story of love
    is hello and good bye 'till we meet again

-J.M.H.-

So long Al.

Here is the latest obituary from the Rapid City Journal:

Allan W. Campbell

RAPID CITY - Allan W. Campbell, 51, Rapid City, South Dakota, went home to flyfish with his Lord, Thursday, April 28, 2005. He died at home after a courageous fight against terminal brain cancer. Al retired from the United States Air Force in 1994. In February of 1994, he started his "perfect" job at Scheel's. As a specialty shop manager for fly fishing, optics and assisting in guns, he got to talk his "2nd?" love all day long. Al achieved Scheel's "Corporate Level of Excellence" in 1999 for his management of Optics and Flyfishing. He really missed his "Scheel's" family and appreciated all of the home visits. Survivors include his wife, Patty, Rapid City, his parents DuWain and Joan Campbell, Great Falls, Montana, a son, Bret Burgher, and his wife, Deb, Rapid City, a daughter, Jennifer Eli, and her husband Jason, Butte, Montana, three brothers, Joe Campbell and his wife Merrilee, Jim Campbell and his wife Leanna, and Terry Campbell and his wife Carolyn, all of Great Falls, Montana, five grandchildren: Nathan, Cody, Marc, Brigid and Dominick and his special companions: Buford and Sammy. Visitation will be 3:00 until 5:00 p.m. Sunday, May 1, 2005, at Osheim-Catron Funeral Home. Services will be 10:00 a.m. Monday at Destiny Foursquare Church, 618 E. Elk in Rapid City, Pastor Brent Parker officiating. Interment will be at Black Hills National Cemetery near Sturgis with military honors provided by Rushmore VFW Post 1273 Honor Guard. A memorial has been established.
    Published in the Rapid City Journal on 4/30/2005.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news. I visited the BB to see if there was any word about Al's battle with cancer. Sad, very sad.

My wife and I have lost many good friends to the disease and now the family that has rented our old house for the last twelve years is losing thier husband and father. I visited with Robert today and he's fading fast. His wife, daughter (1 and son (15) will be crushed when he passses away.

+ Reply to Thread