+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bait Casting on a 3 wt.

Default Bait Casting on a 3 wt.

Bait Casting on a 3 wt.

Well, went to the old company pond again this morning. Been rainin? in West Texas like an ole cow whizzing on a flat rock. Water running over the 1788 in Andrews County. Here he interjects a side note: Good luck opening day, damn, every year! Thought the rain would ?turn them babies on?!

Was I wrong, very dismal, very! Except for the first cast. Last week as you recall, it was the last cast. Break out the trusty Pearow 3wt, this week strung w/ true 3wt, WF-F line, not the 4wt I used in error thinking I was a big dog after hearin? y?all carry on about over lining. An aside here, also: Ya wanna catch bass, get Pearow to build ya a rod!

Make my first cast with a floating Black Fly, fly. Stripping in very slowly, light rain, did not see fly submerge. I did not feel the tiny perch that had decided to breakfast on my fly, but the big BUTT, Mr. Large mouth did. Yes, kiddies, again the week, Whoop, bop a loppa lum bam boom, THE FIGHT IS ON! Drug me up and down and into the weeds, stayed hung, got him out, made a line singing run, fought him back, had him on the beach when he spit the perch, flipped and back in the pond. GREAT SPORT! You should a seen the little perchy, DRT, ?Dead Right There?.

LIFE IS DANGEROUS!

Great Story! I have two for you today. Just got back from the lake.

1st Story.

Whilst Fishing I wrapped the line around a dragon fly and brought it back to the boat alive. Can I use it for Bait??
    Well no. One backcast and the Dragon was in pieces all over the lake.

2nd. Story

The action for Bass was slow so I switched to my 5 wt. for BGs. As soon as the nice little #8 PTN hit the water out comes Mr. Bass and gives me a fun afternoon.

Got to love a day on the water no matter what you catch.

Tight lines.

I have had the Bluegill taken by a Bass several times at one of the local park lakes. It's a hoot!

Once I got lucky and the fly managed to leave the Bluegill and hook the Bass - measured 24". What a blast that was and on an old 4wt glass rod too.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I've had it happen with bass a couple times, and with a catfish once, but never managed to get one hooked let alone landed. I'm jealous, guys!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Guy's
    wireguy and I spent a day on Wakely Lake just East of Grayling and had a 20 inch LMB follow us all day and try to eat the BG's we caught!! It would sit off about 5 feet and look at us! Like come on guy's I'm hungry!! It even had a hook and 2 plastic baits in it's craw!! Definatly the area "Tough Guy"!!

I had a simaler experiance last Sunday. It had been a couple of weeks since I had done any fishing and I descided to go to a local small pond to get ready for the fall stocking. I hooked into a BG?(posably Pumkinseed)that was barely 2" long. He was way to light to put up any kind of fight, but then it seemed like he found a little strength and gently pulling the line out of my hands. That is until he got to the real and the LMB realized he was caught and took off. After several min. of trying to get it out of the weeds I landed the 10" bass, opening its mouth all I could see was the tail fin from the kiver still flapping away. The only problem was the damn bass wouldn't spit out the damn kiver and I had to cut my line... It was one of my most productive flies this year.

A few different times I have had northern come up and hit the blue gill on my line. I had one that came up and hit just under the surface, missed the BG, came back and hit again and hung on for a minute. He dropped the BG, who was still alive and came back in. After another half of a minute of the northern pulling on the gill, the hook finally pulled out. The northern got his meal and I got my fly back.

+ Reply to Thread