+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question About Fly Lines

Default Question About Fly Lines

The other day I had occassion to do some test casting using different flylines. Now I can understand that some lines are slicker, softer, have more/less memory than others. There are probably some differences in the taper as well. However, can someone tell me why the first 40 feet, or whatever the AFTMA weighing system calls for, feels a lot different in the weight and thickness when comparing a weight forward to another weight forward and a dbl taper to a dbl taper? I was under the impression that the weights of flylines are set for the first 'x' length. So, despite the taper or the thickness, shouldn't the weight of a 5 WFF from company A be about the same weight as one from company B? Sure felt a lot different to me.

Allan

There is a french fry potato place in Washington. It is an assembly line sort of thing. The place takes orders from several restaurants, Wendy's, etc., and while each item at the end of the line is a french fry, every order has been tweaked according to each restaurant's specifications. All of the fries look alike, but they taste a bit different. Same with fly lines. Cortland makes line for many different company each of which is looking to fill a nich and hoping that you and I will be there waiting for their product. FlyFIshAmerica had a fabulous article on Cortland some months back.

Here's something to think about, It's a prooven fact but you might think it silly, I'v caught myself with it b-4, think I'm nuts that"s ok. OK here goes, "COLOR" color can play a sicological role in the deal, the way your sub consiuos looks at the color. You may not even think about up front but you do have pre ideas about color and what they mean to you. Like white line, for me even b-4 I use it I already think it's no good so my faith in it goes down and effects my performance. Like I said, you may think this silly, but every one has a thought, feeling, whatever, about dif. colors... my 02

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

JC,

Just to clarify: I understand that there is a 'range' of weight per designated weight line. Also, maybe the lines I looked at were at the extremes of the range and therefore felt so different in weight.
    My comment had nothing to do quality or specific brands. Line manufacturers have done an outstanding job in the technology of fly lines.

Allan

tyeflies,

A couple of years ago Arflo had a very interesting tutorial called "Airflo Flyline Advisor". It doesn't seem to be on their website any longer and because of all the drawings and tables I am not smart enough to post it on the bulletin board. With your permission I wil email it to you. It is very enlightening and answers part of your question.

blue,

By all means. Thanks.

Allan

JC, I have a question for your post on this. I understand the "open" tolerances for the lines, and I assume the answer might be a corporate secret. OK, here goes....Do any of the companys post/publicise their tolerances and which end of the spectrum they prefer to be on? I doubt they do since this might sway our judgement to another company or line. By the way Allen, got your package today. Many thanks, you sent me a lifetime supply, lol. Hopefully I can return the favor in the future. Rick

------------------
    If flyfishing were a sin, I'de be the devil's right hand man.

[This message has been edited by countrygent36 (edited 02 May 2005).]

[This message has been edited by countrygent36 (edited 02 May 2005).]

Line taper, density, diameter, and even composition will affect how lines cast.

For exmaple, standard WF and a Bass Bug taper, Tarpon Taper, Bonefish Taper, and Rio Clouser tapers, will all feel different - at least they do to me.

A WF-x-F and WF-x-S will all feel different too. The sinking line will generally be thinner and offer less air resistance.

I would be very interested to see a survey of various fly line weights in different sizes as well.

John

+ Reply to Thread