+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Muskellunge

Default Muskellunge

Has anybody ever fly fished for Muskie??? I think it can be done (even if it's hard) but i need some serious tutelage. When, with what and where would i fish for them. I've found out a little, including the fact fall is a good time for them so im thinking of doing a bit of lunge fishing this fall... anybody know anything about this type of warm-water fishing???

Thanks

RL

It just happens to be the cover topic on the latest issue of [url=http://mwfly.com:945fd]Midwest Fly Fishing.[/url:945fd]
    You will find it is very much like fishing for Northerns.

RL - people are indeed crazy (Ijust haven't got to them yet), and do target musky with the fly rod. Same musky locations as with gear, tactics .... dahlbergs, and top water. Same as for pike, but wire leaders a definate (plus a 10wt rod minimum).
    Musky are known for their last minute takes close to the boat - gives a tad more to the adrenalin rush ............

darrell,

I fish for Musky often with my flyrod (9wt Scott). Here I like bunny flies, big mouse patterns and bright colored divers. Red and white flies produce the best. I also use tiger wire for a tippet.

RL,
    Don't wait until fall. Go after them now with conventional tackle. Why? Because you'll find out where, on your lake., they reside. Even though they move around "some" in fall...it's not that much!

And read...much has been written about "esox" fly rodding. Check out B. Reynolds' "Pike on the Fly" etc.

Put your time in now...trust me.

Jeremy.

oh yeah - one more thing - when one rolls you on the surface ................ you see that huge swirl and then subsequent explosion about your fly .............. it's a rush beyond means ......... bigger and better than topwater bass ........

I had a huge gator (pike) take a subsurface fly (about 6 inches under) a few weeks back. I wasn't expecting the big girl to be there so I didn't have a wire leader on .................... K-BOOM ........... reminded me why I used to chase them regularly.

darrell,

Try to find the Spring 2000 warm water fly fisherman. There is an excellent article on fishing for Musky and Northerns.

+ Reply to Thread