+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod lenghts

Default Rod lenghts

What is the major difference between a 9' and 10' 5-weight medium action rod. What are the upsides and downsides and the major situational strenghts of each??? Thanks

RL

TO ME THE UP SIDE AND DOWN SIDE IS THAT THE 10 FOOT ROD WILL WEAR YOU OUT A LOT FASTER. I NEVER DID LIKE THAT LONG OF A ROD. 9' IS JUST ABOUT RIGHT FOR MOST FISHING. I DO NOT BELIEVE THE STRENGH THING COMES INTO IT AT ALL AS THEY ARE BOTH FOR A 5 WGT LINE. IT IS THE CASTING OF THE RODS THAT WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. AND HOW TIRED YOU WILL BE AT THE END OF THE DAY. MY 2 CENT'S. RON

Sorry about the Caps I didn't know they were on until I had finished and I wasn't going to do it all over again.

I'm with RonMT on this. Several years ago I bought a Sage RPL 10 ft. 5 wt. I really liked the action of the rod, but the first time I used it I was pretty pooped by the end of the day. I couldn't believe how much difference one foot of length could make. I eventually got used to it, but as I purchased more rods, I eventually quit using it. It's been hanging in my shed now for several years without being used.

Larry Compton

Longer rods take more time and force to "stop".

You'll feel it in your wrist and arm midday with a long rod.

That said, ... most of my work horse rods are 10 ft. My rods over 6wt are mostly 10 ft or at least 9'6"

You see, ... I only fish on one river. I roll cast ALOT and I mend constantly. A long rod helps me to pick up the line too using a variety of techniques to get line up and off the water without a big slurp.

Further, I don't need to scoot and out of the bush to get to my pools, ... the Wardens take care of cutting back the brush and even mowing the grass down.

Conversely, out of a float tube, I use a 8'6" rod as I don't have the leverage to stop a longer rod.
    Christopher Chin

A longer rod, Will allow you more reach and aid in being able to keep more line off the water...and you in better contact with your fly in adversely differing current flows..dern, that sounds to techie to have come from me....let me try this again...hummm...

Can I just recommend that you try and find a copy of Joe Humphreys Video/DVD A Casting Approach to nymphing Tactics. or something like that.....It'll pretty much also apply in many ways to getting desired dead drifts to a dry in certain situations as well..Great section covering 10' rods and the advantages of them and deferring lines...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

For almost all situations a ten foot rod is too long; by about a foot.

When I first started fishing I bought a 7' rod. I later switched to 8' and when I did it felt really long. Then I switched to a 9' and it felt really long. Then back to an 8. Now I'm monstly 9 with a 7'er thrown into the mix. Each rod had advantages and disadvantages and when I adjusted to the rod I found I liked it. In the final analysis I don't think that rod length, action or weight are as important as what is on the end of the line and the time you put into learning how to deliver a fly, so don't agonize too much over your choice. That being said, I agree with most of what the other posters have said.

jed

J.C. I have just added your response to my list of brillant quotes relating to fly fishing. I can't wait to use it some day. Jonezee

I've fished quite a bit from my canoes (always sitting down) and got the notion that a 10' rod would work better my 9 footers. Just had to try it, in spite of some old gray beard's advice not too; and, of course, it ended up I could not handle the 10 as well as I could the nines. Later, on eBay, there appeared some bids for that 10 and it now belongs to someone else!

I started with an 8 footer and so that length just naturally fits me. Today my rods run from 7 1/2 to 9, with all slots in-between filled. The nines work fine sitting in the canoe and where I'm wading and distance is a factor.

Dale

I had a 10' rod. The key word here is "HAD"!

+ Reply to Thread