+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a guide - Rules and Customs

Default Hiring a guide - Rules and Customs

I'm going to hire a guide in the next few days, for the first time in my life. I can remember hearing horror stories from my grandfather when I was a kid about guides who would show up drunk, or wouldn't show up at all.

How do I know that I'm hiring a reputable guide? Also, I understand that it is customary to leave a tip with the guide for a job well done. Is this tip expected, or is it really for a job well done? How much of a tip is acceptable?

thanks,
    -Ray

I can only speak for myself, at the Lodge or even when I privately guide on the rivers, I make sure you have the gear that will be needed (Customers own gear welcome, and treated with as much care as possible- in fact I carry their rod on rough terrain to make sure they get across safe)
    I tie on the flies, net the fish, remove the hook and make sure their hands are wet to lift the fish (QUICKLY) putting the net under the fish for the picture incase they drop so as to not loose shot or hurt fish.
    Drinking or smoking is not an option to me, NO! I have had clients offer me a drink which I thank them and say no.
    The Client is paying me for a good time, so I do my best to give them that, even if no fish to be had (which, knock on wood, hasn't happened yet) to enjoy their surroundings and good conversation. Maybe even learn something that will help them in the future.
    As far as tip, $50. has been the normal for a day of guiding although I recieved more, but the $50. is a standard tip.
    If they don't perform to your liking at all and your are totally dissatisfied, then don't tip and mention why.

Normand Guest

Alot will depend on your level of fly fishing experience.

What do you want out of the guide? Casting lessons, reading water, fly selection, new techniques etc? Catching a ton of fish? An enjoyable day on the river? Floating and wading?

Tips are not always required but if the guide was receptive of all of your needs and performed them well, then yes a tip should be handed out. I think somewhere around 10-20 percent of the trip price would be acceptable.

Be aware that we are no longer in your grandfathers era and that most guide today because of liabilities do not allow alcoholic beverages on a trip. They may have an adult beverage after the trip is over.

Call the guide in question and ask him what is expected from you also. Talk to him about your experience. Alot of guides will provide you with the proper equipment if you dont have any, but you do have to ask.

I personally dont like a guide to do everything for me. I can tie on my own flies etc. I want the guide to show me the intricacies of the river or stream.

Read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_13222_hire-fly-fishing.html

http://www.bozemanangler.com/guide.html

I've hired a few guides - and have been pleased with all of them. (Hopefully, they were pleased with me) As far as finding a reputable one, the best way I've found is a referral from someone you know (and whose opinion you trust) Failing that, have a conversation with the guide you will be with - before booking the trip. Find out if what they offer is aligned to what you what. A simple question like "tell me how you fish" can be very revealing. You should also get a sense as to what it would be like to spend a day with them from the conversation as well. If I'm comfortable at the end of the conversation, I'll book, if not, keep looking.

Tips vary by location, guides and nature of the trip. (If a guide is rowing all day, I think they should be tipped more just for the work involved) Some trips have tips packaged, others don't. General rule of thumb, $50 or 20% of the trip cost for a job well done. I have often asked the guide what was customary - and what they thought a good tip was. (I do it up-front - less awkward for both parties) I also don't think it hurts that the guide knows I'm thinking about it.....

A little article about guides and clients:
    http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can301.html
    Christopher Chin

Quote Originally Posted by Normand
    Alot will depend on your level of fly fishing experience.

What do you want out of the guide? Casting lessons, reading water, fly selection, new techniques etc? Catching a ton of fish? An enjoyable day on the river? Floating and wading?

Tips are not always required but if the guide was receptive of all of your needs and performed them well, then yes a tip should be handed out. I think somewhere around 10-20 percent of the trip price would be acceptable.

Be aware that we are no longer in your grandfathers era and that most guide today because of liabilities do not allow alcoholic beverages on a trip. They may have an adult beverage after the trip is over.

Call the guide in question and ask him what is expected from you also. Talk to him about your experience. Alot of guides will provide you with the proper equipment if you dont have any, but you do have to ask.

I personally dont like a guide to do everything for me. I can tie on my own flies etc. I want the guide to show me the intricacies of the river or stream.

Read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_13222_hire-fly-fishing.html

http://www.bozemanangler.com/guide.html

Very good point. I didn't think about those cause I generally get the newbies, but I do get the experienced that I do give them the flies they will need (Most dig the idea of me waiting on them however LOL)
    I do row when that is what they want. Some trips I feel I really work for my money.
    The Lodge pay's me well so tip is the pat on the back that we all need sometimes.
    I have had trips that I spend the first day just teaching them to cast, mend, set hook, roll cast with the second part of the day; tying knots, reading water and a little insect work. The rest of the day I have them prctise what they have learned on the lakes so I can help one on one. The next day we give it a shot on still or the rivers.

Speaking as an independent guide, I always want to know what an angler wants out of a day on the water. As a customer you should make it clear what you want to do. If you want to catch fish on streamers make it known. If you hate nymph fishing make that known as well. A guide always wants to take you to the best water and have you fishing the most effective methods. That water and those methods might not be fun for you.

I deal with a variety of anglers every week. Some have never held a fly rod, others go fishing a few times a year, and a few are hard core fish heads. Regardless of the angler's skill level I think it's a guide's job to show his customer a better day than he would have had without the guide and an enjoyable day and no matter what the fish are doing. Most guides who have been able to make a living at this job are this way.

R&R,

Welcome to the site.

Very well said.

The folks who call me are either new to flyfishing, new to salmon fishing or just new to the river.

As you said, ... clients MUST make it clear to a prospective Guide what they want, don't want, expect etc.

If the client doesn't state this, it's up to the Guide to probe a bit to make sure eveyone is on the same page.
    Christopher Chin

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Re: "How do I know that I'm hiring a reputable guide? "

Great list of should's so far, half of which you'll likely forget the moment you start the interview process. First things first, are we talking about here in the states, or south America or what? If it's in the states, is it a well serviced fly fishing area?

If that's the case, where possible book through a fly shop or lodge with a long standing reputation for excellence. It's not a 100% guarantee of satisfaction, but it's a whole lot better than booking a trip based on a business card hanging on a cork bulletin board outside the local market.

Re: "How much of a tip is acceptable? "

As far as the tip goes, if you're satisfied with the trip, leave what you're comfortable with.

Best, Dave

Here is a little bit of a philosophical twist to this. A guide is there to guide you. Guide you on whatever journey you are on (fishing wise). If that is one of discovering fly fishing then his/her job is to take you forward on the journey of discovery. If you are a wizened fisher and want to learn techniques for fast water nymphing then the guide should help you learn more about techniques and bug selection for that purpose. If you are out to get the biggest piece of meat on the other end of the line then the guide needs to take you to the place where that is a possibility.

A guide can only take you where he knows you want to go. Both parties have an obligation to have a talk about this prior to getting to the water. These discussions let the guide make appropriate selections of place, time and equipment. Based on the discussions you have prior to committing yourself to spending money you should have a good idea if this guide is the type of person you want to spend a day with. You may not know how well he/she knows fishing but you should get a sense if your personalities are compatible.

As for tips, if you can afford a trip you can afford a tip. I suggest somewhere around 20% for a quality trip. More or less depending on how well the guide was able to move you along in your journey, not on the number or size of the fish caught.

+ Reply to Thread