+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping lines on a spool?

Default Swapping lines on a spool?

I want to swap a couple of lines off and on the same spool. One is a floating line and the other is a multi tip line. I cant find another spool for my reel. One of the local shops uses a system where they put a Bimini twist on the end of the backing and for a large loop. They then make a loop in the back of the fly line using a couple of nail knots. They put the Bimini twist loop through the fly line loop then loop it over the reel to get it together. They use this system for swaping lines around. I dont know how that would go through the guides on the rod though. Anyone use that system?

Why not simply cut the line off and re-nail knot the other on ?

Anyone have a better way of doing this?

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Not sure of their reasoning, but a bimini is suppose to be like a shock absorber or a bungie. I have used bimini's made out of leader before on the leader end and it seemed to work well when the fish were slamming. Sort of a small braided line with a straight tippet coming out of it. 3'long total. As far as bimini back by the backing, not sure as I said on that one. I have been to my back a few times and I agree that the nail knot makes more sence.

Wayne,

The system the local shop showed you is exactly the same system I use on all of my rigs, except I use a different method to produce loops on the fly line.

I started with my inshore and bluewater rigs because I wanted a 100% connection between backing and flyline. Almost everyone I have seen use a nail knot connection for tuna, yellowtail, and such have had a failure of the nail knot. This method will not fail before the tippet. It is the most commonly used method for flyline to backing connections that I have seen for bluewater setup.

No problem with the connection going through the guides. I have had trout and tuna and lots of other species rip these connections through without a hitch.

I have since adapted the method to all of my setups down to my 3wts (smallest I have) to speed up line switches. And I don't have to retie nail knot for every line switch. Most of my freswater stuff doesn't see the backing much, so the connection is never stressed. So I only need to tie knot once. For most freshwater applications, you can even get away with a surgeons loop in the backing.

I switched three lines on reels just this evening and the switch went very quickly - no finding my nail knot tool and tying a knot.

For my bluewater stuff I usually retie the bmini after several large fish.

And by the way, the bmini does provide a bit of shock absorbtion but the other thing it does is provides a double strand line that is used to create 100% connections to other lines.

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop
    Wayne,

The system the local shop showed you is exactly the same system I use on all of my rigs, except I use a different method to produce loops on the fly line.
    How do you make the loops in your fly lines? ? ?
    ----------------
    Wayne

I have this settup on all my reels for the purpous or being able to switch lines at will ( and I think tying biminis is fun )
    Switching lines is easier said than done, and is something you want to be doing sitting at a desk with a line winder rather than standing in a river during a hatch.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I whip a loop on the back end of my fly lines, and make a bimini twist loop in the end of my backing. This allows you to do a loop to loop connection by passing the reel through the loop. This makes it easy to change lines however I rarely do it while out on the boat (but I could if I needed to).

No problem with this going throught the guides. It is a very secure connection, especially with the gel spun backings.

Regards,
    Keith

I make my flyline loops as shown here:

www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

Very strong connection , stronger than fly line if done correctly.

Whipped loops like Keith noted are great too.

Or just fold the end of the line over into a loop and secure with two nail knots as shown at the shop. This method is a bit more bulky though.

I do this with all my lines, all my spools have a loop in the backing and all my lines have about 2' of backing added and tied into a loop for quick changes. This system works very well. I use a perfection loop with a loop about a foot in diameter.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    I do this with all my lines, all my spools have a loop in the backing and all my lines have about2' of backing added and tied into a loop for quick changes. This system works very well.
    How do you do your loops in the backing material? What type of knot?
    ----------------
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop
    I make my flyline loops as shown here:

www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

Very strong connection , stronger than fly line if done correctly.
    After searching, I finally found some of the Cortland Braided mono on the web and ordered some. I tried World Wide Sportsman and was lead to the BassPro website. I could not find it there. I finally found some at Feather Craft.

I'll try it out when I get it on my 6 wt rod as that's the one I only have one reel/spool for and would like to use two different lines on. I ordered the 50 lb. white version.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread