+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did the Michigan Fish-In go?

Default How did the Michigan Fish-In go?

Hey guy's, I was unable to go to the fish-in, but I wish I would have been there. How was the turn out of not only people, but fish? I hope that everyone had a good time in my wonderful state.

Eric

Eric,

I actually went up for four days with jack before the fishin. The trout fishing was slow, but we fished wakely lake and it was great. We caught several nice fish. Jack is a great guy and fun to hang with, and MI is a beautiful state I plan on returning very soon.

wireguy

Default Bummer

Hey Wireguy,

I am sorry that you had to come to Michigan when the trout fishing was a little slow, but most times I can go fishing and catch many of fish, although most of them are not keepers, it is still a lot of fun to go out and catch about 8 or 10 fish in one afternoon. Jack sounds like a very nice guy and I was looking forward to meeting him. Maybe next year or before that when there is or isn't a fish-in.

Eric

I just arrived home from the Fish In in Grayling, MI. Was an awesome time. Learned alot and met a ton of awesome people from FAOL and others. Some caught their first trout and that was very rewarding. Casting demo by JC and Lady fisher was a memorable experience and I did pick up some tips. Glen Weaver was very helpful to me as well as a number of others. The fishing was slow but standing on the bank of the South Branch watching the fish rise again and again last evening with my two great friends Bill and Dale was like a piece of heaven. I'm ready for the next one. Good food-great friends..new and old.

Default Michigan fish in

Michigan Fish In is going GREAT!
    Watch for further updates as we return to the homefront!
    Bill

The Northern Contingent of the Pirates are doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Michigan Fish In

Since my wife and I were at the Fish In only a day and a half I don't feel qualified to give a full report. BUT! that day and a half were magnificent!
    LadyFisher and Maestro Castwell are wonderful people. Their casting demonstration and Castwell's slide show were superb. The chance to meet many of the people on this board, and to learn that they're even greater than they might seem on the board was a revelation. What an excellent gathering of some of the finest people on the face of the earth!

Yeah, I liked it a LOT.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

littlebrook,
    My wife and I were also at the gala event for a Monday thru Wednesday short visit. I agree with you that JC's casting demonstration was outtasight. His "gettup" as Maestro Castwell ALONE was worth the trip.I'll even overlook the BROWN shoe indiscretion. His presentation of 35year old slide series was amazing. Who would have thunk up THAT contraption ( I'll let JC explain later) to photograph the underside , fish view, of bugs as they lay on the surface of waters?. Even my wife Luba (Looba) stayed awake.
    All the above being said, however, the apparent success of this get together was/is due to the tireless efforts and promotion of Jack Hise and Mike Flannigan. Their exuberance was infectious. My greatest regret is that were not able to stay till the final moment and the cook-off. Rumors of Jack and Mike's culinary prowess had our mouths watering. Well, maybe next year.
    I have purposely left out some details for a later post when everyone gets back home and settled.

Mark

Here's a post from another board by a guy who is generally quite anti-FAOL. I suspect he may have been banned here at one point. Don't let it offend you --he was sincerely praising JC's casting prowess.

"I stopped by Gates Lodge yesterday and there was an FAOL outing going on. I ate lunch, and on my way out stopped my car to watch a tuxedo-clad man doing a casting demonstration...very styliized casting, I might say, but incredible to watch. I didn't get his name, but wondered what would have happened if I had brushed through the casting field at about 80mph, suffering from a Hunter S. moment. He sure could cast a sweet line."

Great casting tips... Now I'm not sure if I ever really felt my rod load before. Of course, I started to see my backing while practicing, started to try too hard, and my form fell to pieces. But I've got some great stuff to work on. JC showed a neat little side arm cast that gets the fly to fall gently, was able to use that immediately the following day.

Of course, the best day of fishing was the last one, in a brief 15 minute period where we caught a light BWO hatch that for some reason was driving the fish nuts. I only got two small brookies and a spunky little rainbow during that period, but missed several more. Once the hatch shut down, so did the fish. We caught fish every day, but nothing like during that hatch.

Hare's Ears on the Manistee, Pheasant Tails and BWO's on the AuSable worked for us, but I'm no cold-water fisherman.

Oh and watch out for all the creek chubs between Grayling and Burton's landing. Should have skipped that stretch.

I had a great time, even tho the fishing was slow we did manage some browns and brookies. I missed more strikes than I care to admit. It was very nice to see Deanna and Jim again, as well as a few others I had met in past years. It was really good to meet some new folks too. My hat is off to Jack and MIke for putting this Fish In together. It was an awesome event, thanks guys for a wonderful job. I certainly want to come back for more.

I got to see lots of wildlife too, from wild turkeys, many deer, and a bald eagle that flew out of a tree 20 yards in front of us as we floated the Manistee. What an awesome sight that was. But the most lasting impression I will have is when a fawn came swimming by our boat and came so close you could have reached out and touched her.

Jerry

Ok, I cannot seem to get these pics to post. Is this a fluke on my part or are we not able to post pics yet with the new setup?
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

+ Reply to Thread