+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TO glue a guide or not to glue a guide, what is the answer?

Default TO glue a guide or not to glue a guide, what is the answer?

Another in a long line of questions. What are your opinions on temporarily securing guides to the blank in the pre-wrap process. I've seen, masking tape used, elastic thread, and super glue. I'm curious as to what everyone thinks?
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Default securing guides

Bear, On the rod I built I used masking tape. Make sure its the 1/8 size. If you do, stick it too your shirt first, gets rid of some of the sticky, alcohol will clean off the rest. I tried elastic string, guess Im not coordinated enough. It didnt work for me. Hurry up and getter done. I know Im not the only one waiting for pictuesLOL Seriously take your time and do it right

Default Re: Securing guides

Hi, never glue the guide to the blank. You need to be able to move the guide under the wraps, once you finish wrapping. This is to get the guides to line up as perfectly as possible. A narrow piece of masking tape on each end of snake guides will work just fine and when you wrap you just need to remove the tape from one side at a time.

Bill W.

thanks a bunch for the advice. Definitely makes more sense to tape!
    Hare

Default guides

Bear, I forgot about one neat trick Ive heard works good. Use the small rubber bands that hold braces on. Ive heard it works good and when your ready to wrap, carefully cut them off

The elastic tubing that hospitals use - surgical tubing. It is available in a variety of diameters, you need the skinnier stuff. It is stronger than rubber bands, doesn't leave any residue and rolls great for positioning. Give it a try.

I must admit, I kinda like the elastic thread idea in al's tutorial. I've been using that since yesterday, and it holds nice and firm. It's also super cheap and cuts away easily once the guide is secure. I am gonna get some of the tubing though and see if it's better. Thanks for all the great advice!
    Hare

Doubt the original poster needs this info...But I have been using My alcohol lamp to heat (Lightly) the guide feet and then rubbing them gently on a stick of tip top cement and adhering them to the blank that way....It also provides a thin film of protection for the blank as there is shifting of the guide feet in the flexing of all rods...This still allows for shifting after the guide has been wrapped as well....Just some thoughts...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

About 5 project rods ago, I cut about (10) 1/4" pieces of masking tape in preparation for a wrap session. I just finished a SB359-9' last night. I think I might use the second strip on my next rod .

I can send you the extra 8 pieces of tape cut if you need them...

I just use 1 piece of tape and wrap the opposite foot then take of the tape and wrap that foot. Move on to the next guide location. I follow pretty closely to the Guide Calculator that have been previously posted so don't have all my guides taped when wrapping.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

10. Default

I agree with GuideWrap about the glue. I've ben using strips of rubber that are sold for fly tying. They come in wide strips and you can separate a single strand for legs on flies. (or tying on guides) They're cheap enough and about the only thing I've found for single foot guides that work. Just wrap them around the guide and tie a knot. The little orthodonic bands are good too but hard to use on the slimmer end of the rod.

+ Reply to Thread