+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PA/MD Float Tube Question

Default PA/MD Float Tube Question

Ok, this may seem like a wierd one...
    I recently had a Birthday. My father bought me a float tube...mainly because he thinks they are really cool. I'm in complete agreement with him on that one...they are cool, but i'm not that sure of where around here I would have much use for one. Most of the streams I fish do not even have enough water to cover the tube, let alone use it. Now I know that I can take this bad boy out on lakes and ponds, and I certainly will. My question is: Are there any rivers near me that necessitate the use of a Float Tube. I had always kind of thought that they were an "out west" type of thing, but then realized that if there was water around here that you needed a float tube for I probably would not have fished it because I did not have a float tube. For the record I live in Frederick, MD (North of DC) and work in Gettysburg, PA. I would be willing to drive a bit to reach a river big enough for the tube with some trout in it. Any advise?

Dear gburg,

Float tubes are not recommended for use in rivers, period.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, or that people don't do it, but it really isn't a very good idea in most cases.

Where they do excel is in fishing lakes and ponds. In your neck of the woods that generally means fishing for bass, panfish, and other warm/cool water species. I think those fish are just as much fun on a fly rod as trout, and drifting along in a float tube casting to likely spots hoping the fish will play along is a great way to beat the heat of summer.

Please keep in mind that if you use the float tube in PA on waters controlled by the Fish Commission, which basically means anything that isn't a private pond or a Game Commission or DNR lake, you are required by law to wear a PFD.

Enjoy the tube!

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

As Avalon said float tubes and moving water are not good mixture. They are really not stable enough for river use, maybe in a slow stream where you are just using them for transporation you get by.

Don't know the MD regs but in PA public waters you can only use tubes in waters that are designated for them. If there is no posting they are not allowed. I found that out the hard way when I got tossed from the lake nearest my house. I haven't found a listing that tells you where you can use one, but I admit I haven't tried all that hard. I also have a pontoon boat and they go about anywhere once you register it.

I do not know where in the world I got the idea that you would use one of these things in a big river. Now that I think about it, it really does not seem like a very good idea. I guess I just thought people got out there and threw and anchor down, or just floated along (although it seems like you could get a pretty awesome dead drift if you were a part of the drift!). Anyway thanks for the heads up on the regulations, and from stopping me from strapping this thing on and jumping in the Potomac. Rick I have a feeling that I would have found out just like you did. I will have to look into some areas around here...

Dear Rick,

I'm curious as to which lake you were kicked off of when trying to float tube? It's not that I doubt your word, I'm just interested in where it happened and if they told you why?

Around here, and in the Eastern and Northern sections of the state the places I've seen where float tubes were specifically prohibited were most often County Parks or Municipally owned lakes and reservoirs that were open to canoes, kayaks, etc. but that banned all forms of inflatable boats or had a length restriction on inflatables.

I've never had any trouble on any State Park lake, or any lake with a Fish Commission access on it. Like I said, the PFD is a requirement on those lakes, and the tube has to have two or more air chambers but I'm not away of any tube that doesn't meet that requirement.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Hi Gburg,
    I live in your same neck of the woods and have been considering purchase of a pontoon mainly because I want my bottom out of the water. I would use the tube or pontoon on the quieter waters of the upper Potomac (White's Ferry, Violet's Lock, Pennyfield Lock Sheppardstown, Petersburg , Harper's Ferry) and some sections of the Monacacy like Buckeystown area or even around Frederick. The Potomac has its origins in West Virginia and is a huge roaring river but it also has sections where there are wonderful areas of calm water. DO NOT be fooled by some of those sections which appear calm because some of them have very treacherous undercurrents that claim lives every year. I am NOT suggesting that you take that tube into any area without first getting very specific knowledge/information of where you are intending to float. The Potomac can be very deceptive and downright dangerous.

One suggestion I would make is that you invest in the books by Ken Penrod or even his video tapes by the same titles. He is a bass guide and fishes mostly hardware. He does touch on Flyfishing in some of his chapters though. His knowledge of the river is unmatched and his info is very specific.

Fishing the Upper Potomac / Penrod
    Fishing the Tidal Potomac / Penrod
    Tidewater Bass Fishing / Penrod

I believe that he may now have a fourth book out but I am not certain about that. There is also a map available that accompanies the Tidal Potomac book. It should be available from any good fly shop (Angler's Lie) in Arlington, Va.
    You might also want to purchase an annual Fishing in Maryland (it is a magazine type manual which includes some maps and directions and is usually available at grocery and drug store magazine racks). The magazine has a wealth of info covering the entire state and all forms of fishing including saltwater fishing in the bay areas, rivers and community ponds. I have often thought how much fun it would be to float Needwood Lake in a toon and even the C & O Canal. This should be enough to get you started on an exploring and reading adventire that will take you through many seasons and maybe even the rest of your life. Have fun , be VERY careful and get in touch again.

Gburg,
    I have carried my canoe up to the lake at Cunningham Falls State Park. Not too big, but a nice mixture of fish. Also the lake at Greenbrier State Park heading towards Hagerstown. Do be careful though with the tube. They can be a blast on the right waters though.
    Cheers,
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

GBurgFisher;

When in doubt about permissibility, call before you head out. I have saved myself a lot of aggravation by doing that.

Also be advised that YOU should find out the rules and KNOW them for the areas you intend to fish. Many of the authorities don't!

I once had a conversation with a PA WCO, (fish cop), about float tube rules and he INSISTED that motors were permitted on float tubes in Pennsylvania. I didn't want to get his dander up, (for obvious reasons) so I corrected myself. After he left, I checked the Regulation Summary booklet which said regarding float tubes: "no mechanical propulsion". Which means MOTOR to me!

BTW, if you ever want to consider using a float tube in moving water, think about what would happen as you are drifting in a rock or log strewn river with flipper adorned feet dangling below. That a capsize waiting to happen!

+ Reply to Thread