+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT VISE?

Default WHAT VISE?

I've tied with a Cabela's Master Vise for some time, and it's time for an upgrade. I've been looking at a Griffen Odyssey Vise and a Danvise but can't decide which one. Can someone tell me overall which is the better vise?

I recently had the same problem, I too looked at both vises you mentioned. The danvise looked good, but I found out that the one in cabelas is mainly made of plastic for the housing. The griffith I asked my local fly shop about, and he said it was an ok vise, but they wore out after a little time. So I ended up buying the more expensive dyna-king with the lifetime warrenty. Also the jaws on the griffith have a tendacy of working loose because of the locking mechinism. Don't get me wrong, both vises are good vises, but I wanted one that would last me for along time, and hold up to the amount of tying I do. If you only tie a little at a time and take good care of them, either vise would suit you. Just my opinion though, the ultimate choice is up to you. Good luck, Dave
    www.freewebs.com/davehazeltine

Has anyone had a Danvise wear out?

about 2 years ago i bought a griffen patriot vise, and love it. i saw it in one of jack dennis's videos, and when i went vise shopping, it cought my attention. only paid like $120 for it, and it is great. i havnt had any problems, and i use it alot.

Hey dragonfly1, where did you here it had plastic housing? I searched the web and can't find this anywhere.

I've been tying for quite a few years now on a DanVise, and it's no worse for wear. Al and Gretchen Beatty tie commercially on the DanVise, and are two of it's major proponents. It it was bad, they wouldn't have it in their catalog.

RG/AR...amen

I've been using two Danvises for several years and had a little problem with one....e-mailed Al...the only thing faster than the part replacement was his response telling me it was on the way...just as I knew it would be.

Hate to undermine fishyguts but you can get the Danvise for half of $120...if you search.

Not actualy plastic, but nylon here is a link with some info on it
    http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/review/1
    Again, I'm not saying they are bad vises. It was just my preference I wanted an all metal vise.

WW fly fisher --Each time this subject comes up I have the same answer. Griffin make great vises all with a Lifetime Guarantee. Ihave eight -- A Odyssey, 3ARP and 6 2A's. The 2As are for children tying classes and if they can't break them no one can. Griffins will hold hooks from 4/0 to 28's with no problem. I have tried many brands and still pick the odyssey any day

Danvise has Delron a space age nylon and from the review posted above they have problems with jaws. I have never had a problem in all my years of tying on Griffins.

Default vice

WWFF,

I've got a Danvise and I love it, especially for the small dries. I don't forsee needing another vise in the near future. Just because it's not made of metal does not mean it lacks endurance. I guess one of the factors is how much money you want to spend. If you wanted to stay under $80 you'd be hardpressed to find a better vice for the money --- just my opinion, of course. Good luck with your vise selection.

+ Reply to Thread