+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Teeny's patent

Default Jim Teeny's patent

Does anyone know the Patent Number of Jim Teeny's nymph ? I'd like to see exactly what he had patented.

Prolly figueres that I do

Jim Teeny Nymph Patent # 3,821,862

Just one of many Patents JT holds. He even holds the patent on a fly fishing vest that as an integral storm hood!

YTou can search patent numbers at http://www.USPTO.gov

Default Patent number

That number is not acknowlegded by the Patent Office website. ????

Gee, according to that patent, a 'Teeny nymph' is specifically constructed with "tail feather from a Chinese pheasant". So if I were to substitute turkey tail or barbs from any long-fibered feather, the resulting fly would be something other than a T.N.

I guess that means that since a Quill Gordon, Hendrickson, Red Quill, Cahill, etc all require wood duck flank for the wings, I can use a substitute material and call the resulting fly anything I want

Allan

Allan, welcome to the wonderful world of "Name That Fly"!

I have used golden pheasent tail feather for a JN type fly, it works out rather nice and the trout seemed to like it too.
    Ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by tyeflies
    Gee, according to that patent, a 'Teeny nymph' is specifically constructed with "tail feather from a Chinese pheasant". So if I were to substitute turkey tail or barbs from any long-fibered feather, the resulting fly would be something other than a T.N.

I guess that means that since a Quill Gordon, Hendrickson, Red Quill, Cahill, etc all require wood duck flank for the wings, I can use a substitute material and call the resulting fly anything I want

Allan
    No! Not Really. When you wrote-up your new fly patent, the examiner would look up "prior art". He would find the Teeny Nymph patent. He would surmise that anyone trained in the arts and having access to the Teeny patent and skills of a normal tyer would be able to reduce to practice a change of the feather type. It would be obvious and futrthermore considered not to be novel. Novelty is one of the requirements for a new patent award.

I have had one patent application denied that had 26 seperate claims. Each and every claim was "shot down" eventually for the reasons cited above.

It is not that easy to patent something. The urban myth that changing one little detail wiill get you a new patent is -well, a myth!

Rich

flymaker,

No where did I say that I would seek a patent or that a subtle change is patent worthy. What I said was that I could, and the way naming flies is done, legitimately call my fly anything I wanted. Really, what's the differencew between a Quill Gordon and a Red Quill dry fly other than the slight change in the body.

Anyway, and to be honest, I had no idea what a Teeny nymph looked like prior to this thread. Now that I do I don't know what all the fuss is about. Big deal.

Allan

tyeflies-

Certainly you may name "your" altered fly anything at all. The Teeny Nymph is simple and deadly. The fish are the judge. Over 25 World's Records on that fly is something to fuss about.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread