+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question...

Default Question...

How many of you nail-knot a piece of 20# mono onto the end of your fly line and then tie a Perfection Loop in the mono for attaching your leader?

What length do you make the piece of mono?

Jim

Default Answer

Jim:
    I use an 8 inch length of the butt section of an old leader on a nail knot with the fly line with a perfection loop connection to the working leader.. Works okay but it does give you a bit more junk at the line to leader connection than I like. As a result I only do it on heavier lines (5 wt and up). On lighter lines I really prefer to connect the leader directly to the fly line.

David

Jim,
    I use that particular method and have been for about 4 years. The lenght of mono, after the loop has been tied, is approximately 2 inches. I use the Amnesia brand in the 20 lb. test. Colors I use are red and chartreuse.

I use an Albright knot to tie the leader directly to the fly le. Faster than a nail knot (for me).
    Christopher Chin

Dear Jim,

That is the method I use almost exclusively. On heavier lines, 6, 7, & 8 weight, I use the butt section of an old leader, generally something in the .022 to .024 diameter. On lighter lines I use .020 mono, I use .017 mono on 1 and 2 weights. On very heavy lines 9 & 10 weight I whip a loop in the end of the flyline, wrap it with kevlar thread, and coat it with Plio-bond. Then I loop the leader to it.

The permanent butt section varies in length depending on how neatly I tied the knots but it usually is 3 to 4 inches in total length. I coat the nail knot and the perfection loop with Loon Outdoor's UV Knot Sense to make them pass through the guides easier.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

That's what I was thinking the replies would reflect; mine are 4-6 inches, but I've seen some 18-24 inches and was beginning to doubt my choice.

Thanks for the input, guys...

Jim

I use a 4-6 inch piece of red Amnesia nail knotted. It allows me to use it as an indicator and see the end of my fly line. Then a perfection loop to loop for new leader.
    It works well for me.
    Dick xfishcop

I use this setup with the Amnesia as well. I just use a few inches off the end of the fly line.

When I make this connection on a new fly line, I will use some 'Knot Sense' to smooth over the knot and seal the end of the fly line to prevent water from wicking up the end of it and making it sink.

I think that this setup might help cause the tip to sink anyways. The mono is heavier, the end of the fly line is smaller in diameter and is more prone to sink, and the knot may catch dirt and garbage on it, helping it to sink. Those are a few of the drawbacks.

I *do* like this setup because of the ease I can change leaders. (I'm really tough on leaders.....snags, tangles, etc) I think that it's a very secure connection, taking into consideration that you are making good knots.

my 2 pennies

I always use a blood knot to conect the leader to the butt. It starts out about 2 feet long and I replace it when it get to short to tie to. If I want a long leader I will tie in to my butt as much as 10 feet of heavy leader that matches up with the butt and the head of the tapered leader. The loop to loop works well but I find it picks up moss and weeds some folks say it hindges I have not had that problem.

Rich

Default Re: Question...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sentell
    How many of you nail-knot a piece of 20# mono onto the end of your fly line and then tie a Perfection Loop in the mono for attaching your leader?

What length do you make the piece of mono?

Jim
    I do that-except I use 30# mason and $40 on heavy salt water lines.

+ Reply to Thread