+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boa Yarn Patterns

Default Boa Yarn Patterns

I know a lot of people have stocked up on boa yarn including me, but there aren't to many patterns that call for it. Does anyone have any other patterns besides the BY leech and th BY bugger?

Thanks

Default Boa Yarn Patterns

Well, its a material . I suppose you could use it for a lot of existing patterns for a substitute material since most of the applications I've seen have been for existing patterns. Doesn't have to be a "new" pattern. Try a Boa Yarn Matuka. Just use the Boa Yarn instead of the hackles for the wing for example. How about a Hi-Tie? Legs on nymphs or Crawdads? Lots of possibilities. Use your imagination and experiment. There have been some neat applications of it for flies on some of the swaps. Try getting into one of the Boa Yarn Fly swaps to see what folks are coming up with or take a look at some of the Boa Yarn Fly Swap photos. Have fun .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

What about Boa Yarn Spiders (Soft hackkles)? or is that too sacred to mess with?

Try using it in place of marabou or hackle. I tie the conehead combo using fun fur or disco yarn to make the body and in front of the conehead.
    yes it works Dan

Use in place of hackle on a Wooly Bugger. Just pull it in a little so it is between the wraps of chenille. It will stand up beter then.
    Also try it as hackle on some other patterns and let us know how it works.

Rick

A tip...not mine someone else suggested it here and it helps.

You can tease out one of the strands of cord holding the lash material and the cord becomes less bulky and wraps more neatly and delicately.

Then you can use the extra cord [my idea] for other things...I've used it for legs and it looks good but haven't fished it yet...could be used for ribbing...use your imagination....color varies of course depending on what you started with..

+ Reply to Thread