+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musky

Default Musky

What are the absolute best months for connecting up with the toothy critters called musky? I heard November, is that correct?

I've heard November is real good on the Niagara River. I can't say for certain, since I don't fish for them.

Early spring is good..Very early...Pike spawn around ice out...and the Musky can be found in about the same places about 2 weeks after the pike have spawned...so If you were to go to a lake or river that holds numbers of both...and you are catching Pike during their spawn....You'd do well to revisit those same areas in the following weeks...

I have caught Musky and Pike in the same stream sections during late spring...Yes... I said "Stream"...lol..No I will not name it...

There's alot of good waters here in PA..all you need is decent topo map's.
    Which if you take your time and look closely...you'll find places that likely hold the fish you seek...First you need to know those fish and what is their requirements.....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

4. Default

My vote is for fall ? September through November. They go on a feeding frenzy to fatten up for winter. Did well in the fall years ago in WI and also more recently in NY.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/articles/1129127823.pdf

Something you may find interesting.

Jeremy.

In Minnesota, Musky Season opens in mid-June, and closes October 1st.
    Bass Season Opens end of May, and closes October 1st. Walleye/Panfish/Northern Pike Season opens mid-May.

In Alberta most of the pike lakes close during the spawn but the fishing right before (Ice Fishing) is great and right after the season opens again in mid may is great too. I've heard that its great in late fall just before ice up too. Like has been said the feeding frenzy preparing for winter. I know of a few spots where the fishing doesn't really slow too much all winter and quite a few 40" plus pike were taken last winter. One of which is a record contender, if the guy actually decided to register it.

I assume muskies are similar in behavior so you may not be off the mark with late fall being prime fishing.

Hillard

Not exactly sure of the "season's" and dates here, as I fish year round...C&R... The only thing I really follow is when the Trout streams are closed..then I concentrate or the C&R waters that are open year round...If I'm feeling like trout fishing that is.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

My brother, who is a muskie nut says September, right up until December are the best months. I just returned from the Trent-Severn waterway in Canada and fished for them, without luck with the fly.

He is headint to Pigeon Lake (in Ontario) for his annual muskie trip next month, as well as fishes them in the upper Niagara River, right up to the bitter end in December.

Remember a good sink-tip line and pike leader in order to ensure that the fish doesn't bite you off!
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

nighthawk Guest

Two very good waters for muskies year round in our area are: The Juniata River from Port Royal to Duncannon and Holman Lake at Little Buffalo State Park. Fishing the Juniata at or after sunset will also yield some very nice walleye.

+ Reply to Thread