+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Line ?

Quote Originally Posted by tea stick
    I have never fished the Cortland 444 classic with bamboo yet but intend to make it my next fly line. I've heard good things about it and for what it's worth, it's John Gierach's favorite line with boo, so you'll be with some pretty good company.

As for the Cortland sylk lines, most people seem very pleased with their sylk lines but some people report having bad experiences. It seems that they do very well with cool conditions but not so well when the temps heat up a bit. I would still consider one if I planed to fish in a cool climate and and cold water.

My $.02 worth
    I have read the reports of Sylk getting a bit sticky when warm, but I use mine at work all the time and it is rock, sagebrush desert type heat and I have yet to notice this. In fact I don't notice anything I Don't like in the heat. Cold weather however, it comes off nice and straight with no memory and that is the biggest selling pont.

Thank you all for your replies. I just may give the sylk a try. But I will keep the cortland in reserve. I will actually try them both with the rod and see how each works.

Flygoddess I had heard about the problems in the heat. It sounds like we fish the same type of country. Rock, sagebrush, and desert heat. I do most of my fishing in Central and Eastern Oregon. Maybe the sticky problem is due to high humidity in some areas.

Rocky

FLYGODDESS,

I had considered the sylk when I went to buy a new line for my 4 wt boo this spring but knowing that I would also be using it for warm weather species when the trout fishing came to a halt in PA, I decided against it because of the problems some people were reporting of the line sticking to the guides. If Cortland ever gets the problem solved, or untill I can dedicate a line to trout only, I'll be the first one in line to buy one. Until then, I'll choose something else.

Hey, you gotta do what YOU feel is right. Sounds like you got it dialed in. Like I said, I switch between SYLK and Wonderline, but not cause of Sylk sticking. Besides I dress my line once a week. Find what works for you and stick with it.
    TIGHT LINES.

Quote Originally Posted by tea stick
    FLYGODDESS,

I had considered the sylk when I went to buy a new line for my 4 wt boo this spring but knowing that I would also be using it for warm weather species when the trout fishing came to a halt in PA, I decided against it because of the problems some people were reporting of the line sticking to the guides. If Cortland ever gets the problem solved, or untill I can dedicate a line to trout only, I'll be the first one in line to buy one. Until then, I'll choose something else.
    Dear tea stick,

Fly lines are made of plastic. People get gummy in 95 degree heat and humidity.

I really don't think you need to be scared of using Cortland Sylk during the lazy, hazy, crazy days of Summer. My buddy who lives here in PA uses it year round and hasn't uttered a single complaint about it.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

+ Reply to Thread