+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Books?

The Benchside Reference is very good for we older guys too. And the one that has helpled me as much as any is A.K. Best's "Production Fly Tying". They're both tying technique books, not pattern catalogs.
    G'luck.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

I would also strongly recommend the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference. It's a wonderful book that includes detailed descriptions of just about any technique the you would ever need to tie a fly.

Some others that I'm particularly fond of are Production Fly Tying by A.K. Best and Trout Flies by Dave Hughes.

If you look in the book reviews section of this site, there are reveiws on all three of these books.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

ol' blue,, How about getting that bench-side one. It will make good reading, really, and you can play with some of the things it shows in there. It is probably the best I know of on how to do stuff, not many patterns, but, that isn't what it is about. Yup,,, think that is the best. Patterns come out all the time. 'How to' is far more important.

Blog Entries

JC,

I'm really leaning that direction. The net is full of patterns, and techniques are probably more important right now. Pattern books will happen, but I think my skills are the weak link at the moment.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Bluegill....Fly Fishing & Flies and Largemouth Bass Fly Fishing, Beyond the Basics by Terry and Roxanne Wilson.

This couple from Bolivar, Missouri, know warm water fly fishing and how to tie the flies.

You'll like these books.

Have fun!![/u]
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Default I recommend "Tying Better Flies" by Art Sheck ...

I have a number of pattern and technique books going back 20 years. I wish this one were available when I started. Certainly less complex than the Benchside Reference, it still covers all the basics, is easy to read and understand. More importantly for me, the techniques can be applied to several patterns, with methods that solve some tying mysteries while making flies which are more durable. The patterns that Schek uses as examples are shown with simple mutations so that caddis wet flies (emergers) become mayfly emergers etc. Otherwise nothing beats the Al Campbell series right on this website for both patterns and instructions..

Blog Entries

Not to beat a dead horse, but the tutorials and pattern archives on this website are excellent. Look at the articles on flies done by Rick Zieger if you want ideas for warm water flies.

+ Reply to Thread