+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Banff & Jasper Alberta Fly Fishing

Default Banff & Jasper Alberta Fly Fishing

I will be spending 7 days in Banff and Jasper National Parks in mid-September. Would love to get some suggested fishing sites where legal and not too far from the beaten path using waders. Thanks

Banff - got to hit the Bow River (it's right there).

Jasper - you need to check out Maligne Lake (south east of Jasper).

There's more waters than that - but these would be towards the top of the lists.

There's a guide for fishing in National Parks in Alberta - you can find the short of it here http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/...visit14d_E.asp

darrell,

Stretches of the upper Athabasca river along the Icefields parkway are rumoured to have some great fishing. I was talking to a guy last weekend who has been fishing pike in TAlbot lake east of Jasper townsite. 10-15lbs being adverage with a few bigger fish.

Outside of the park and towards Hinton, Kinky and WildHorse Lakes have been producing some very good fish this summer. Located about 5 min east of the park gate on hwy 16 in Wildhores lakes provincial rec area/campground. Some of the best rainbow fishing in wildhorse is along the weed bed shallows to the east of the boat launch. This end of the lake has a large flat easilly waded with the fish being around the weeds along the drop off. I've fished this lake year round with good results all year. My fishin buddy pulled a 22 inch brown out of there this year and we limit out most days we go. We both caught and released about 20 fish a piece one time in a matter of hours.

There is great fishing in the park though I haven't fished it much with the great fishing right around town for me. Trout, pike, perch, whitfish, grayilng, all within 50 km or less. I'm out atleast 2-3 times most weeks and rarely go with out a hook up or two. If you fish any around here let me know and I can probably point you in the right direction.

-Hillard

You gonna have a car?

Lower K lake. Watch the bears. Seriously.

Blog Entries

I hope you haven't gone already I just found this post. Remember you are going to be in a National park and will need a fishing licence for the park.
    Also just a small point Maligne lake is northeast of Jasper. Not South east(I used to live there).
    Always watch for bears. September elk can be frisky also. Bull elk are as unfriendly as Herford bulls and can be even more dangerous. In the rest of the world you can pack heat but not in the park Bears and elk know that.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

So, how was your trip? We want to see pictures.

+ Reply to Thread