+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Fish-In Up Date

Default Michigan Fish-In Up Date

The fishing is slow. Water temp's around 70! It was very cold last night and will only get to around 70 for the next couple of days so it should improve.

I had to come back to Evart today and Wireguy headed off to the South Branch. I'll phone in a report to Karla this evening.

No need to bring fire wood. There is a lady that comes through every day with bundles for $5.00. Very nice wood, a bundle will last two evenings

There may be a glitch in the registration site. Gate's Lodge is Hosting a "Casting for Recovery" event through Tuesday afternoon using the front lawn. It may have to be at Kneff Lake Sunday-Tuesday.

The highlight of the trip so far was helping a young man about 12 catch his first trout (also first on a fly). I gave him one of Ny Anglers Tricos from a swap and bingo!! Just as I was leaving he caught another!! All he could say was Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!! His mother is going to email me the photo of he and I with his first.

Sounds like it is going to be a really good time!

I'm jealous of everyone that is going. Work schedules have kept me from a lot of fishing trips this year.

Jack, way to go on helping the sport grow! (the way it should be done, with a little class and grace) That kid will have that memory of you helping him for a lifetime. Well done.

I hope everyone up there has a wonderful and safe trip.

Oh yeah.....I hope y'all catch some fish, too.

Well done Jack!
    I'll see you tomorrow!!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Really??

REALLY sombody caught a fish on one of my flies ????? dang will miracles never cease...Im glad and good for ya .

Hey Jack,
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, we're staying at the Wyandotte Lodge/Inn (??) so where is the attendees sign in??

Mark

Mark
    The orginal plan was to sign up at Gates Lodge. They are having a retreat thru Tuesday, so I think the sign up is at the campground at Kneff Lake until the retreat is over.
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Hey there Brad,

Thanks for the info. See ya there??

Mark

Just got off the South Branch of the AuSable, lots of small BWO's and White Caddis. It was a beautiful evening till the sun went down then it got cool QUICK! The fish were very active, and were beautifully colored.

I'll be there Sunday along with Bill Horner. See you then.
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Default Back home from Grayling

Well, I made it back to good ole hot and humid Florida today. I got to spend a couple of hours with Jack and wireguy at Gates for lunch and at their campsite Thursday afternoon. They are a couple of great guys that I'm glad I finally got to meet! Got to see some of Jack's cool flies and furled leaders and got to cast a few minutes with wireguy's big ole bamboo rod. I'll need to lift weights before I cast that sucker again!
    I flew up on Aug. 2 for a planned vacation, long before I really knew of FAOL and the Fish-In they were having the week after I had to fly back home. My in-laws have a camping spot way down the AuSable River on Foote Dam Pond so we ended up there for the first 5 days of my trip. Caught lots of smallmouth bass, rock bass, perch, and bluegills on basically the same flies I use down South to catch Bluegills. When we made it back to Grayling, I had the chance to go dry fly fishing with one of the locals......man, that's some crazy fishing!!!! Flies size 20 to 30! I could barely see them. It took me a little while to get used to this type fishing......I had never been trout fishing, but in the end....I ended up catching my first trout.....a whopping 7 inch brown!
    I went with a guide friend of mine on Friday afternoon down south of the Mio Dam and using streamers, hoppers and droppers, and dry flies, I caught 6 rainbows and 2 browns.....nothing bigger than 12 inches but a fun day anyway! Finished fishing at 10pm, made it back to the in-laws by 11pm, went to bed, up at 2:30am to drive down to Flint to catch the flight back home! All in all....a wonderful trip! Fished 6 days....caught fish all 6 days. That's good for a amateur like me!

Regards,
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread