+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses

Default Sunglasses

I need to replace my glasses and looking for help on color:
    * to be used stream/lake frsh water
    * to be used saltwater
    * if can afford only one pair

I fish mountain streams and lakes, lowland lakes, inshore and bluewater saltwater, and have some experience on SW flats.

If I could only have one set of sunglasses it would be photochromatic copper. A little bright in very bright sunlight or sandy/coral flats, but I will accept that for good low light visibility. I have used Action Optics and Hobie. My next choice would be brown.

What I actually use is photochromatic copper for general use, brown sight fishing in bright conditions, yellow for very low light, and grey for bluewater and high mountain stuff in the sierra where there may be a lot of reflection off of exposed granite or snow.

Hi, I have one pair of Bole glasses that have amber coloured lenses and one pair of Addidas glasses that have grey lenses and I think the amber lenses are much much better, they realy help me with spotting fish as they seem to enhance the contrast in the rivers were I fish.
    I hope this helps.
    Mike.

I would suggest a cardboard framed, plastic lens, 1950's 3-D ,movie set of sunglasses. If your are heading to your favorite hole and several people have beat you to it, done these babies and at stream side start some knee bending excersizes and arm stretching while humming Zippy Do Dah with a big smile on your face. You will shortly have the whole stream to yourself and be able to peer into the water to hunt your prey.

Actually, I have a pair of Hobie polorized, plain dark glases that I purchased over 25 years ago. They cost over a $100.00 then. but with proper care I expect them to last another 25 years. OF course, they are a little out of style, but then the fish don't care what I wear. I really believe this is one case where you get what you pay for.

I'll agree with Jonezee, you do in fact get what you pay for...I had a nice pair of $150 glasses that were wonderful (some fish is now wearing them) and just replaced them with a cheap pair until I get a chance to flip the couch cushions to get more change together and the new ones are already scratched up because I dropped them once. My old pair that I had for years got dropped much more and never scratched.

Oh yeah, so unless you want the fish to have polarized vision, remember to put some of those clips so if they fall off they don't go into the drink.

-Pemi

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Spike,

I haven't bought prescription sun glasses in years and generally make due with polaroid clip-on for about $5. I have tried them in all colors and shades. For general fishing, medium amber works best for me. It seems to increase brightness and highlight important details like holes and fish. Darker glasses seem to absorb detail. Just my 2% of a dollar and I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

I go with the $15 Wally Mart special - with polarized lenses (I forget the name of them), they come with tethers. The yellow-brownish ones work best for me.

As I'm prone to sitting on my shades, pricey ones are .... not too realistic for me. I'm also known to drop them lots, leave them on the roof while driving away, ......... I'm hard on shades.

darrell,

Polarizing lenses are a must. Whatever color you go with, get something that wraps around and cuts off glare from the side. Since I wear glasses, I used clip ons for a long time. It was convenient when the light changed to just take them off. Then I tried the wraparound cacoon style in the Back Country in FL. They are a light year better. I use a sport strap to assure I do not drop them and to hang them around the neck when light changes.

Wally has a slightly less expensive polarizing cacoon style and other wraparound styles if you have 20/20 or wear contacts.
    Bear742

I have a pair of copper lenses in Oakley Half Jackets.I always wore cheap glasses until I wore my sons Oakley glasses fishing a few times.The old saying of getting what you pay for is the absolute truth in polarized glasses.Got mine as a fathers day gift and love them.One thing I like about mine is interchangable lenses.

I don't understand why anyone would buy cheap glasses. You only get one set of eyes. Mine will get nothing but the best. You only get 1 mistake!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread