+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy#2

Default New guy#2

Ok, this is a continuation from my post yesterday, but the advantage is.... I don't have to scroll down

So, this time a few questions. As I said previously, I have been using my $26 Crystal River combo 8' 5/6 wt for about 2+ months now. Also of note, I am fishing mostly ponds, so casting distance is important.

One thing I did do was toss the combo string and bought a decent WF line. It helped some. So my questions for all you pros... (or anyone who knows more than me, which is everyone((remember, I asked what makes flies float better ) as I think about upgrading my equipment.

1. What difference could I see between this cheap combo and a brand name/well built rod. (My guess is they are lighter, more force to the cast?, may be way off)

2. What difference would I see in a reel? This one works... strips line...winds up...

3. I have an 8'... I am assuming a 9' would cast farther, but need a really open space to use it... bad for small streams?

4. Does the wt effect casting distance? Think I would like to try 4 wt, not sure.

5. Is there really a huge difference between a $10 string and a $40 string? And would it even be noticeable on a cheap rod?

So, if you have an answer, opinion, whichever.... let me know!

I will give you my opinions only on your questions:

1. A step up in rod quality would get you a rod that is lighter and it would have a more crisp casting stroke. A good brand that will not break the bank for starting off would be a TFO. They are good rods and have a great warranty. You will start to accumulate rods after awhile in this fly fishing game, so, I would recommend the TFO Series I rod. It will cost about $90. If you look around you might find a combo with the Series I.

2. Unless you intend to get into some really large fish that would take you into your flyline backing, you do not really need to upgrade your reel. It serves it's purpose which is store your line. Depending on what reel you have, I have seen reels that were just too heavy for the rods they were on and they would overpower the rod. That is why some purchase a combo unit since they are suppose to be compatible and balanced.

3. The length rod really needs to be determined by the person using the rod. I started out with an 8' and progressed to 9' and now I am very satisfied with 8' 6". There is just something about the 8' 6" rod that I really like.

4. What weight rod you use must be determined by you and what works best for you and your type of flyfishing. You really need to go somewhere where you can cast several different weights and see what works best for you. A 4 weight is a great rod for trout and bluegill but, if you have a lot of wind, it will not cast as well as maybe a 5 weight or 6 weight. If you fish mostly ponds for bass and bluegill, a 4 weight will be great for the bluegill flies but will not cast the larger bass flies and poppers as well as a 5 or 6 weight. There are just too many different situations calling for a different rod to make the recommendation for you. You will really need to try rods out and see what works for you.

5. I think there is a difference between "cheap" fly line and more expensive fly line. I have seen a top end fly line make a low end fly rod cast like a different rod. If you take care of your fly line it will last for a long time.

I will throw in Question #6 - You should research what action rod that best fits your style of casting and fishing. There is a slow action, medium action, medium fast and a fast action. Each one will cast different and each one will handle distance casting differently. This is another place that no one can tell you what to get. You must try out each one and see which action fits you. Trust me, you will know when you have found the right fly rod for you.

Continue fly fishing and do not make any big purchases in equipment. This is a sport that you must grow into. As you try different rods, lines and rod actions you will find what you really want and then make the purchase.

I do not know if any of this was of any help to you, but, maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in straighten both of us out!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have heard that "overlining" a rod can help beginner casters get used to the feel of a rod loading. Since your rod is rated to take a 5 and a 6wt line, I would suggest using a 6wt line rather than a 5wt line and this may help you feel when the line is straightening on the back cast which can only help with your casting.

As Warrenp said, I also think there is a big difference between a cheap line and a more expensive one. In many books I have read, the writer has said that one should buy the most expensive line that they can afford. Many people may disagree with that, but i think as a general rule it is correct.

I would also like to echo the common underlying denominator of warrenp's response - Most of the line weights/actions/rod lengths are a personal preference and you should really head to a dealer that will allow you to cast the different combinations that you are interested in so that you can see what feels best to you. We could all sit here and dictate to you our favourite rods/lines etc but they should only be suggestions of the better ones to test. The final decision must be your own.

p.s - Notice how I avoided talking about the reel. I consider them just to be line holders when fishing small stillwaters, although they do come into use from time to time when the boss of the pond decides he wants to play with me, but that's not the norm.

Wow... some good info from both of you. Now I'm really lost

Action? Ack... I am not even sure what "action" my rod has... hmmm.

I will have to see if there is anywhere around that can let me test a few rods, not to sure about that one...

It may just be me, but I think I am setting a record for snagging the weeds, tree's, rock's behind me. I'm REALLY good at that!

MikeB
    Go in to Dakota Angler, tell them what you've told us. They'll let you try out any number of rods and lines, to get the feel for what they've all got. Don't buy any other rod till you've tried them out. Come back and tell us what you've learned, and then we'll tell you which rod to get!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

MIke, the kinds of questinos you asked at the strt of this post are very appropriate ones. Not the stuff you can easily get in books --opinions by people who have been fishing awhile.

This board also has a standing policy that there is no such thing as a dumb question and most folks try to answer whenever they feel they can.

So don't take this as criticism, cuz it most certainly is not. BUT, you will really be helped a lot if you'll check some beginner fly fishing books out of your local library or buy one. My favorite is the LL Bean one, but the Orvis one is also good.

These books will take you a very long way on your learning curve very fast.

I'm not trying to discourage you from asking questions here. I'm only trying to help you accelerate your learning curve.

Action on a rod has to do with how flexible it is. A fast rod will flex only near the top when loaded in a cast. A slow rod will flex over most of its lengths. Medium slow, medium, and medium fast are points between these two extremes. Most people seem to feel that a medium fast rod is best for a beginner, but it really is a matter of personal preference and casting styles. That's why people are suggesting that you go to a shop that will let you test out a few rods if you can.

I've never used a shop to test rods. I startedwith one that was medium fast, liked it, and have bought others like it. Someday I hope to test out a fast rod some friend will let me use, but I haven't pursued that as I have more important things to learn first.

That's another nice thing about fly fishing. You will never know it all. There are always new things to learn.

OK i'll try too!
    1) PERFORMANCE! A better built rod will handle more. It will be smoother casting, mend line easier, will be far more sensitive for detecting strikes, and on and on.
    2) The "better" reels are generally smoother, lighter, with little start up inertia. They're generally made out of anadized aluminum, which makes them corrosion resistant, stronger and lighter. If your chasing smaller fish a less expensive "line holder" reel will work fine. If you're chasing steelhead, salmon, not so good.
    3) Not necessarily. A good caster can launch casts off various length rods. The longer rods help when fishing larger streams and rivers, primarily for mending and line control at greater distances.
    4) Line weight does effect casting distance, but it's more important to determine things like, types of flies being used, species of fish etc.,
    5)GENERALLY YES! Cheaper lines have a tendency to coil more, kink-up and lose their coatings quicker than the better lines.

All of these things are purely subjective, being that this is one sport where nothing is carved in stone.
    Betty probably gave you the best advice.
    Welcome to the board and the maddness!

Cool. Ya'll have given me alot of information to ponder on. I think the suggestion of a book or two is a good idea since I like to read anyways.

I'll look up Dakota Angler too, although as of now, I'm not sure where that is.

On the brighter side of things, the perch bite was really on last night. No matter how I threw the line or which fly I was using, the fish usually hit within a second or two. God bless em. Must have caught 20-30 within the hour.

1. Most any rod that you can purchase today is at least an adequate casting tool. In a higher priced rod you generally get a better warranty and improved asthetics. You can also purchase a rod that meets your casting style and the type of fishing you are doing. As you progress you will almost certainly acquire several rods for different types of fishing. Until you have gained enough experience to be able to tell the difference I would stay with good quality, lower to moderately priced rods unless you are the type who just appreciates quality of workmanship (implying this bad, just a factor to consider).

2. As others have mentioned this will vary depending on the type of fishing you are doing. If you are generally focused on bass and panfish and smaller trout then just about any reel will do. If you are fishing for large trout, steelhead, salmon or saltwater you will be well served with a reel that has smooth startup inertia in the drag. These types of fish generally make strong, fast initial runs and if the drag doesn't react smoothly you will likely break the tippet. Also, if you are doing cold weather fishing or salt water you will be better off with sealed drag system as it will be less likely to freeze or get sand/salt in the drag mechanism.

3. A longer rod will help you with line control in the water as you will have a longer reach. It will not neccesarily cast farther but will generally cast easier. The shorter rod will help in most conditions where there is restricted casting space; however, in conditions where there is no casting space and you will be forced to roll cast or when the obstructions are all relatively low and you need your backcast over them the longer rod is the better choice.

4. Not neccesarily. A bigger impact is matching the type of line to what type of flies you are using. Smaller weight for smaller flies and larger weight for larger flies. There are also lines that work better in extremely cold or extremely hot conditions and those meant to help with casting certain types of flies. Buying a bass bug taper line made a huge improvement in my casting for lake and pond LMB fishing.

5 YES it absolutely will - IMHO. The quality of the line has a direct impact on the quality of my casting and landing fish. The line (fly line, leader and tippet) are the only areas in my tackle that I refuse to comprise. Most of the rest of my tackle is cheap to moderate (with a few exceptions) but I always buy the best quality line that I can afford.

Ok, The shop Betty Hiner referred me to above is just in town, and they offer fly casting and tying lessons...

That will definitely be on my list of places to visit this weekend! Looks like I may get a little "hands on" experience.

THANKS EVERYONE!

+ Reply to Thread