+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass & Panfish on #6 rod/reel combo

Default Bass & Panfish on #6 rod/reel combo

Hello all,
    I'm new to the sport as well as FAOL. I just purchased a White River Dogwood Canyon combo from Bass Pro Shops with the intent of going to the Gatlinburg, TN area to try for some trout.

BUT.....we don't have trout in south Mississippi. Would the #6 combo be adequate for large mounth bass as well as bluegill and redear sunfish?

I caught a pretty nice bass on my new spinning reel recently and I'm concerned that if I got one of that size on a fly rod, I might need a new rod......

(I'm just getting BACK into fishing after a 20 year absence)
    Thanks
    Wayne

(I tried to insert a pic of the bass, but couldn't figure it out)

Default 6Wt rod

A 6 weight rod is about the best "all-rounder" for freshwater fishing. You've got an ideal rod for panfish and river smallmouth, as well as light largemouth fishing in lakes and ponds. I take at least one 6 wt with me on nearly every trip. You'll do just fine.

Joe C.

Thanks, Joe.....I caught a good 7 pounder recently (lake) and was kinda worried about my new rod....that sucker really did some pulling....

Wayne

First, let me welcome you to the best flyfishing, flytying, fly anything web site going! Ask any questions you may have and I know someone will help you.

A 6 weight rod will handle the bass poppers and flies very well and you should have no problems. It will be a little "much" rod for the trout in the Smokies, but, if this is just a visit only, I see no reason to purchase another rod for trout since you have no trout in your area. If you do have the "bug" to purchase real bad, you could purchase a 4 or 5 weight which would make a good rod for trout and bluegill. A 6 weight rod will defeat a much larger fish than you may think it could. I started fly fishing about 12 years ago and have learned that a good fly rod will land any fish out there.

I am familiar with your area since I have relatives that live at "Land-A-Lakes" at Brooksville and more relatives at Lousiville.

Again, Welcome to FAOL
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi STK,

You made a good purchase when you selected a six weight outfit. It will do just fine for bass, brim and others. When you've decided to do a little experimenting with other outfits, like around Christmas time or birthdays, you might want to pick up a four weight outfit for those days that you are going to be targeting brim and other sunnies. The light rod will greatly increase your enjoyment with the LMB's smaller cousins.

I also took a long leave of absence from fly fishing. The large, deep lakes of Upstate South Carolina turned me into a hard-core, hardware-chucking bass fisherman for thirty years. I'm back to fly fishing again and having much more fun. Welcome back to the side of truth and beauty! 8T

Hey Wayne,

Here in the South for decades as I was growing up, there were no
    flyshops, but rather hardware stores that carried fishing tackle. The
    fly gear was almost always 6 weight. It seemed to be the standard
    for the South east. Only in recent years did I discover that there are
    other weights of fly tackle to choose from.*G* It worked fine.
    Warm regards, Jim

Thanks Warren & 8T,

I'll probably get a #4 outfit eventually...but right now I've gotta get out there and learn how on my #6.....just about to bust a gut to get out there...can't do it right now though...kinda hard to do on an offshore drilling rig....give me another week or so and nobody will be able to find me unless they're looking at the lake!

Wayne

Remember "Fish don't care what you paid for it". You are right on Stkwayne, get out there and fish the Kajeebers off that #6 !!

You've got some really fine creek down there in South Mississippi. I'm a native of the upstate but learned to swimming in Silver Creek over by Monticello, but there's also Red Creek and Black Creek over close to Wiggins and Camp Shelby that run together to form the Big Black just off the Pascagoula River. All of them will take your breath away in the middle of summer they are so cold.

I circumstance I encountered down in your half of the state was bream bedding up in 8 - 10 ft. of water. Lake Mike Conner has some nice ones in it but they are hard to get to.

I got a float tube after moving over around Atlanta and love it. You've got some pretty large water lizards down your way I don't particularly want to get in the water with in a fabric covered innertube. Cottonmouths you can deal with, crocagater are a whole nother animal.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread