+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailing loops

Default Tailing loops

Question, I'm having a problem with casting. I've been doing a lot of LMB fishing in a local pond and can throw a #4 popper on a 4 and 5 weight with fair accuracy 65 to 70 ft. plus, decent cast. When I tie on a small streamer or small bluegill fly my fly crashes into my line on the forward cast about 25 ft. out.

I am a self taught caster and never taken a lesson in the roughly 3 1/2 years I've been flyfishing. ( probably picked up some bad habbits) I have been able to manage this somewhat by lowering my rod after the forward cast.

What troubles me the most is I can throw the heavier flies without this problem. I do keep my backcast high because I regularly catch the trees 25' high and 30' behind me.

Any direction would be greatly appriciated.

Leo C.

I'm no expert by any means, but your loops might be too tight. maybe from being used to throwing the bigger flies with that rod. Hopefully if I'm incorrect someone will correct me.

Actually OLB your right on point, its a case of not adjusting the power to the application. Opening the loop will indeed have the effect of lowering the power for those that seem to have a problem adjusting stroke speed, not an uncommon situation for many fly fishermen. Leo, what you've identified is not a bad habit, but rather a void in your understanding. A bad habit denotes understanding on your part and a willingness to continue on without effort to correct it. Such is not your case.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

I'll try that. Makes perfect sence.

Leo C.

Leo,
    Wish I could understand your situation better but with many casters (personal experience included) the troubles with a lot of casting has to do with an adequate loading of your rod on the back cast.

Not knowing how you cast, this might be worth your consideration.

Sounds like your keeping your back casts high "enough", ...ala..parallel to the ground, not sinking much...

Good luck. I hope this helps some how.

Jeremy.

Problem??? Anybody who can cast a size #4 Bass Popper, 70' accurately with a 4wt rod is a Casting God in my opinion!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Ray,

You beat me to it. I can barely cast 70 feet and when I do accuracy is measured in yards of target. Within 2 yards = accurate; 3 yards = somewhat accurate; 4 yards okay(I guess); 5 yards and I say, "I was trying for the other fish".

Allan

Ray, Allen

I sometimes surprise myself. When I say with fair accuracy this would be on those days when the winds are very low or non existant or at my back. That would also be within about a 8' circle.

I do double haul and have gotten used to casting heavy flies since most of my fishing has been saltwater. I do build up to it and when I change flies it takes a few minutes to get back into the groove.

I try to throw the whole line when things seem to be clicking and can't do it. How tangled up I get!! I guess I can throw it all as long as I don't take it out of the box.

My casting has improved tremendously this past year because I have fished about 2 to 3 times per week.

Default I wonder about your timing ...

Casting the heavier wind resistant poppers you probably have to wait a second longer for the line to straighten behind you compared to casting the smaller fly. With the larger popper you may also feel a more noticeable tug on the line when the line straightens. The lighter fly will get back quicker and also not signal as clearly it is time for the forward stroke. It may be that you catch the trees on an interrupted back cast, which fools you into believing your back cast always stays high, but on a normal one I wonder if the line is starting to fall before you begin the forward cast. Then to get the feel you are used to (from the heavier popper) you are driving the rod too hard at the beginning of the forward cast in order to get the heavier feel you are used to. If you refine your sense of touch things should improve, IMHO.

Default Re: Tailing loops

Quote Originally Posted by Leo C
    What troubles me the most is I can throw the heavier flies without this problem. I do keep my backcast high because I regularly catch the trees 25' high and 30' behind me.

I can't believe no one got this one....

By throwing your back cast abnormally high you are basically creating a concave path in your line path. A bigger bass bug will have a tendancy to pull the loop open where a standard fly will throw a tail.

One option would be to finish your forward cast lower. In lieu of trying to "throw" your cast high, actually picture drilling it into the water. Push your hand forward as you finish. This will delay your finish and cause your loop to flatten considerably. It will basically do the same thing your heavy fly is doing naturally.

Try going out into the yard and cast with the same standard fly. Dollars to donuts that you don't throw a tail.

John Wilson

+ Reply to Thread