+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie here

Default newbie here

hello to all, i am very new to fly fishing but not new too fishing in general. yes i use spinning gear but i have recently grown very fond of fly fishing. I went on my first atlantic salmon outing last saturday and landed a nice atlantic salmon and i am now hooked. last spring a friend got me into fly fishing for brook trout and I have always been a sucker for top water action and fishing them brookies on dry flies was right up my alley. however this year i want to expand my fly fishing, so i may need some help and that is where you pros come into play.

take care, nate

......turn back while you have the chance..........I've just been at it about a year and I'm too far gone.........save yourself.
    I see feathers and reals and rods and 10,000 different hooks and 50 colors and sizes of thread and dubbing and hanging around the fly shop when I should be working and trying to get out of the house saturday morning at 5:30 am and ...........

This is a fun and addictive game you are getting into. You'll also make some good friends out there.

I used to spinfish too. This really is an incredibly rewarding and effective way of catching fish.

Get out your wallet!
    Welcome to the addiction. It's a blast!

------------------
    "Dad can we go fishing?"

"Yes. Of course we can."

Say yes, always say yes.

I'm quite new myself. I got skunked on the Deschutes several times, then took a class about a month ago. Last week I pulled in 12 native redsides, released them, and am loving it. They're right regarding the cost-it can become riddiculously high, although the payoff is priceless. If you have half as much fun as I am, then you'll still be better off than everyone else in the world who doesn't fly fish!

new2fly, RW here,

Just keep saying quietly to yourself what my contractor kept saying to me when I had some renovations done on my house, and the wife kept wanting more and more stuff, and the cost kept mounting and mounting.

"It's only money"..."It's only money"..."It's only money".

Above all, stay sane.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

......checking out road kill and chasing the pets around the house with sissors and.........

thanks for the welcome guys. right now i havnt spent all that much money on my rods and gear, so i havnt had to open that wallet up too much as of yet. i'll stay sane and try and learn as much as i can this spring.

nate

you will love fly fishing. Welcome!

RL

Welcome aboard. You will not find a better place to learn about flyfishing. I have been around here for a little over a year and love it. I have learned so much from the great folks here.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

+ Reply to Thread