+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Summer Bluegill Tactics

Default Late Summer Bluegill Tactics

Just wonder what tactics you guys use to catch late summert gills, flies, leaders, etc...

I live in the foothills of NC and the bluegill action has slowed due to the extremely hot weather we've been having. I do catch them, however, with a #10 bead head nymph (pheasant tail , hare's ear, lace body/peacock thorax) fished about 5 feet deep with and without a strike indicator. I have fair luck fishing small hopper patterns, large EHC patterns, and small sliders early in the morning and late in the evenings.

I've been using furled leaders all year and I love them. I use 4lb. mono as my tippet material.

Hope this helps.

Since I have about a 50-50 chance of catching smallmouth. I use larger Sneaky Petes, gurglers, Chernobyl Ants, size 4 and 6. This gets me a lot of misses but usually the sunfish I catch are hand size, 6-7 inches. If things are slow on top. I'll tie on a dropper on 18-24 inches of fluorocarbon of the back of the dry. I like Green Weenies, white or chartruese Estaz bugs, and small baitfish patterns tied with leftover pieces of sili skin. These are usually tied on size 6 to 10 hooks. If I want quantity I downsize the top water to size 6 to 10.
    I use a furled leader and I start the day with a 5 foot piece of 8 lb fluorocarbon.

Slow your retrieve down alot. Use unweighted flies and let them drop for a long time. Give the fish a hcance to come ot the fly withouyt having to expend alot of enenrgy.

Rick

Hey Bassfly,

Think hopper patterns. Fish them early and fish them late and above
    all, fish them slow.*G* Warm regards, Jim

I'm with Philly. I just don't want to pass up the opportunity for some nice smallies. This year I started using #6s more and more, and next year I will have #4s in the arsenal as well. On my small creek I never thought I would use that "big" a hook! One thing I did learn, kind of the hard way, is to watch the shank length on some of my patterns. I used a C53S nymph hook on some foam floaters, (not the one specified in the pattern, but I love the shape of the hook) and I noticed that the fish were "missing" some monster takes. Bass did not miss. I finally figured out that the pan with its smaller mouth was probably smashing the fly but missing the hook! I think that may be a "Duh", but just another item in the experience box!
    Good fishing!
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Blog Entries

Slow your retrieve down alot. Use unweighted flies and let them drop for a long time. Give the fish a hcance to come ot the fly withouyt having to expend alot of enenrgy. Rick Z
    That has been oh so more true for me since I have been going to FlyFish Texas these last few years. There are a series of large tanks with glass walls. Actually small ponds, I mean they are BIG. One walks down along a sloping path and can look into the underwater world of various ponds. one is about ten feet deep by the glass and is populated with some monster bluegills. Big old dark colored brutes. Every year a caster is positioned in the shallow end and casts out to the end by the window. Spectators can watch the fly drop and the bluegills approach it. The circumspection with which those big old boys approach that fly is painful to watch. No impulsive rush and grab at all.

Bob:
    That's almost my favorite part of fishing the larger flies. Watching the sunfish try and grab it. I've had them pop the fly right out of the water, and follow the fly clear across the creek. My favorite is when they come out of the water and try and grab the bug on the way down. I keep wondering if I tied a few with the hook facing up would I get more hook ups. It is amazing what a sunfish can get into its mouth. When I say a size 4 Sneaky Pete, the fly's about 2 inches long. I've caught 3 and 4 inch sunfish on these and have had to remove the whole fly from some of the bigger ones mouths.

My late summer answers:

early morning
    late evening
    go slowww, go deep

A float tube is a great idea, too. If your going to be on the water in this heat, you might as well be partially IN the water were it's a little cooler
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Hey! im relativley new to flyfishing. just got my combo last week. but im good at it!!! i also tie my own flies. for late summer 'gills, use dragonfly immitations. i tied an extended body mayfly, but gave it black hackle so it looked like a dragonfly. i caught a very nice gill on it.

P.S.: i will be in this forum and the Fly Tying Section most frequently

+ Reply to Thread