+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with hackle twisting when palmering

Default Problems with hackle twisting when palmering

First of all, let me say that I tie some of my flys only to save a few pennies. Which I am begining to question that motive. How some can find it relaxing is beyond me.

The problem that I am having is when tying buggers, my hackle twists. I normally tie in the tip on the rear of the hook and have tried using both regular hackle pliers and also those swivel type. I have the same problem with both. I have tried fanning the fibers back or not at all. It doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Have you tried stripping one side of the hackle before wrapping?
    We usually DO twist the hackle with a wire or thread (tied in with the hackle) and then wrap it. Sota makes your bug "bullet proof".
    ....lee s.

Lee

I have not tried stripping one side when tying buggers. But will have to give that a try. And yes I always use some type of wire from the back to the front after palmering.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

anglerdave; As Speed is not important to me.I prefer to use my fingers only when palmering body hackles, as it allows me to work close to the point of wrapping which in turn allows me to manipulate the hackle and stop any twisting. Had the problem you mention when I started using hackle pliers. Just one of those little things sent to remind us we are only mortal. Have Fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Dave,
    We twist the wire and the hackle together THEN palmer. Hackle is there for good that way. Generally you'll toss your bugs out for getting stale before they lose the hackle.

not telling
    Last edited by Bugsy; 04-06-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Bugsy has the right idea there. You can use Wire or Mono of about 6 or 8 pound test. It is tied just like a Elk Hair Caddis. Tie in the wire or Mono then tie in the body material, wrap the body materail up the shank tie off. Tie in the hackle were you ended the body by the butt section. Wrap it to the rear then take two wraps of Mono or Wire right at the back side by side and then wrap up the body over the hackle so that you get a wrap over each wrap of feather. I like to take two good wraps fo the feather at the head so that it is nice and full. Wrap wire to the head tie it off then whip Finish and you got her done. Ron

If you're wrapping the hackle without repositioning it in your hackle pliers or hands you're adding a quarter of a twist each wrap. To demonstrate this take a piece of flat tinsel or mylar and tie it in at the bend. Attach your hackle pliers and wrap forward with out repositioning anything after four wraps your material will have a complete twist in it.

This may be the problem.

What Halomidge said...and I don't understand why it happens with a swivel pliers....also if you tie in the stem leaving a little bare stem to start laying the hackle in it helps to start the barbules correctly.

Default Twisting hackle

1. try using a larger size chenille for the body so the hackle stem will have a place to bury itself to make the hackle fibers stand more radially outward.
    2. Tie the hackle and your wire rib in at the bend of the hook, wrap the hackle and then counterwrap the wire to the eye.
    3. Always stroke all the hackle barbs backward so they stand out from the stem before tying in.
    4. When you tie in by the tip, the barbs have a greater tendency to get trapped as you wind. Keep stroking them back as you wind,

+ Reply to Thread