+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Fly Fishing

Default Oklahoma Fly Fishing

Trout are hitting wolly bugger (olive/brown & black)on the lower Illinois.
    Larry

To my fellow Okie fly fishing friends:

Let's try to keep each other posted on our experiences flyfishing Oklahoma. I have combed the internet and have found only limited information re: Flyfishing Oklahoma and most of what I found provided little information. As I have just recently picked up my fly rod again after many lost years, I have little to report at this time. I will be going to the Lower Illinois over Labor day and will report when I get back. Any input from my fellow Oklahoma flyfishing persons will be appreciated by me and I believe many others.
    Larry

Okie,

I'm hoping to hit the water there first part of next week. If I go, I'll let you know how it goes.

There is a group on Yahoo called the Blue River Fly Fishers who try to keep each other up with the waters in Oklahoma too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blueriverflyfishers/

You might check with them too.

Terry

okie, I myself was thinking about a trip to the Lower Ill. over the Labor Day weekend I'm just wondering how many others will find there way that direction? the last time I was down that direction on a 3 day weekend the folks swimming pretty much made the trip a bust! I may put this trip off until later in the year when it starts getting cooler. I'm going to have more time this year to put fly to water and while over the last few years I have been going more it's just not enough! but from where I'm at I might as well say it's a 2 hour drive to the streams (rivers)
    One little fly that you may try on the lower is a real simple fly but can make you cuss tying it, they are what I call a micro jig, #14 or 12 hook, bead head (black) and light brown marabou body and tail, just drift them and twitch every so often. Best of luck to you. Later,

Kirk

Went this morning to lower Illnois. Caught several fish on a GRHE rigged under a crackleback. Did not have any takers on the crackleback. Mid morning decided to fish dry flies for a while. Tried several flies and had moderate success, mosquito was the best producer.

The last time I tried the lower Illinois on a holiday weekend it was horrible.I left after a very very short time as I was about to get real ugly acting with what i called the members of the Idiots of America club.Think they were having a convention there.

Yea, I went up last weekend and it was horrible. I had to literally walk around about 6 peole down by the weir who were all casting rooster tails. I had to wade down about half a mile to get any solitude.

I'm going to try my luck down below Beaver on Thursday! I hear things have really improved there.

Let us know how it goes! I've not made the trip down that way yet, kinda hard to get myself talked into going someplace I have no idea on where to go! the lower is a couple hours from the house also the Blue when they are stocking but I would not have the foggiest idea on where to go down at Beavers Bend. A little latter in the year if anyone is going and don't mind a tag along give me a shout! i've got one buddy up here that has gone but it's hard for us to work schedules out for a trip. Later,

Kirk

Just got back from 4 days on the lower Illinos. Labor Day was a little crowded and the fishing was a bit slow. I fished about a mile below MarVal Resort and picked up a few rainbow and 1 nice brown. The brown was fun in that he was in one of those holes where you just know holds a bigun. It took a while but I finally coaxed him into hittin a #6 black wollybugger. The river was beautiful, as always and even though the catching was a lil slow the fishing was great.
    Larry

+ Reply to Thread