+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Info for Grants Pass Oregon

Default Info for Grants Pass Oregon

I am going to be in Grants Pass 8/18 to 8/20 for a little R&R with my beutiful wife. I want to try and get a little fishing in while I am there and was wondering if any of you Oregon folks might have some suggestions. I was thinking about the Holy Water near Shady Cove but not sure since I have never fished it this time of the year. I am hoping for some evening dry fly action. I dont have to have huge fish just willing fish. Thanks.

Alan. I get over to the Rogue Valley once in awhile, mainly to fish for warm water species. The hot spell we had has really slowed the fishing, but with the weather cooling perhaps by the time you get to Oregon things will have improved.

I drive by the "Holy Waters" quite often but for reaons not relative to your question I refuse to fish there. I see very little fishing pressure on that water. There is a tackle shop called Pat's Hand Tied Flies in Trail, Oregon, which is maybe 10 or 15 miles below the Holy Water. I have chatted with the folks there and they seem to be pretty straight shooters. I did a Google and came up with their phone number (541) 878-2338. They probably can give you a daily update on fishing condictions. I think there are some steelies in that portion of the Rogue in August.

Above the Holy Water is Lost Creek Dam. I have been walking along the shore casting weighted woolies among the rocks and catching a fair amount of smallies. Most are small but every now and then then you will get a decent one - maybe 2 lbs.

Emigrant Reservoir near Ashland has a lot of panfish, to include smallies, and some trout. The lake is troubled by mercury pollution and a health advisory is in effect for it. Also Agate Reservoir near Medford contains a lot of warmwater guys and it is usually fairly easy to catch them especially if you fish towards the evening.

I know this isn't much, but I hope it helps and I would recommend that you contact Pat's Flies.

Tim Anderson
    Klamath Falls, Or

You might also call The Fishin' Hole in Shady Cove and speak to Jack or his son.

The Fishing Hole! I have been trying to remember the name of that place all week. Thanks! I bought my first 3wt there but I couldnt remember the name of it. Thanks for all the info guys, I am really looking forward to fishing the Holy Water again. It has been about three years and I have only fished in the middle of winter so it should be interesting. I will give those shops a call and see what is hatching.

Hello Alan, you might try 'The Rogue Fly Shop' in Grants Pass. You'll find the owner, Josh White, very helpful. You can reach Josh @ 541 944 1489 or e Josh @ josh@rogueflyshop.com. Also, you can pm me if you like and I'll give you the name of a state park and link for a place I've just found out about near there that I'm wanting to try soon. Good luck !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread