+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pepper spray incident

Default Pepper spray incident

We've had some serious problems recently with Cougars in the area -- they have been spotted close to houses, one nabbed a 100 lb. husky dog right from a porch a month ago (the dog lived, the lion was shot). Bears around too. Everyone up here on the mountain enjoys outdoor activities like hiking, biking, fishing, camping, backpacking, that's why we live in such a remote area. So it's pretty much de rigeur to carry a pistol. Those who don't like guns carry pepper spray, some carry both.

Our neighbor was out hiking with her 8-year-old daughter this afternoon. They heard something snapping branches in the thick willows right behind them. Mom drew the pepper spray bottle, and took off the safety. Whatever it was went the other direction. She said, "Let's get out of here and run home FAST." She didn't replace the safety.

Do you see where this is going?

Yep, somehow while running home she sprayed her 8-year old daighter right in the face with the pepper spray. Sounds dumb, but stuff like that happens in a split second and can happen to anyone. Her daughter was in agony for over an hour, they were still 1/4 mile from home when it happened. After about 30 minutes and 15 gallons of water flushing her eyes and face, the girl was just fine, she came over here for a visit just a few minutes ago and was all smiles. While they were treating her, Dad tasted the pepper spray from her forehead--he said it burned his tongue worst than the strongest habanero pepper sauce he'd ever tried.

The Moral: treat pepper spray like it was a gun. It won't kill you, but for a while you'll WISH you were dead!

Here's one of the kitties that's been prowling around here, the photo is from an automatic game camera. Note the shredded ears, this one's been around the block a few times.

Now I'm not knowledgeable about how to leave an area after spotting a mountain lion but from what I've read, the reaction of predators to a 'prey reaction'(running away), I'd say the mother did 2 things wrong.

Allan

My thoughts too!

Danbob;
    That is a very powerful looking cat! The ear damage could be from frost bite. I have an out door cat that has ears like that after a very cold winter a couple of years ago.
    A shot of pepper spray in the eyes can be very painful. But, what if it had been a pistol with the safety off?
    I've heard tales of campers spraying down their gear and tents with pepper spray in an attempt to keep bears at bay without knowing that they realy like that stuff!! Just not in the eyes!

Blog Entries

Yep always walk away from a cat, Few years ago I was jogging and had to spray a dog, next night jogging along (always carried it in my hand) and wiped some sweat from my eye. I can attest that it burns, also used it in Law Enforcement. I truely feel sorry for that girl.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

We had an incident involving perpper spray at work a few weeks ago. I work as a forestry consultant in Alberta. I would carry a pistol certain times of the year in certain locations, but the red tape involved in aquiring and to have the proper carry permits is a headache in Canada. I will eventually get everything sorted out so I can buy and carry a pistol in the bush, but for now I carry pepper spray like most of the other guys I work with.

Our incident at work was also a case of no safety on the canister. My work partner had just lost his safety off of the canister. Brand new 2 days old and he somehow lost the saftey. He didn't want to toss it dispite my warning that it was unsafe and should be tossed however he did agree to keep it out of the cab of the truck. He was storing it in the back of our quad (ATV) in the little tool compartment under the seat.

We had a really hot weekend and he forgot it in the back all weekend, and either the heat or because of the missing safety it was discharged in the back compartment of the quad. We were unloading the quad from the back of the truck when he noticed a smell, he opened the compartment and the vapours were pretty strong. We let the wind carry it away for a while but had to use the quad for work that day covered in pepper spray and I can attest to how uncomfortable it was to work with the fumes lingering all day.

I got home and hosed it down for near an hour and it still isn't fully gone a week latter. I too did the finger lick of the stuff and it's pretty spicy stuff, almost be good in chilli....lol. Its a sweet chilli almost sweet and spicy. Which would make me belive that the stories I have heard about bears liking the taste and smell once the heat of the pepper spray has subsided. Apparently they happen to be attracted to pepper spray after it has disapated.

I heard one story of a forestry crew in northern British Columbia ending up accidentally spraying their GPS unit back in the day they were really expensive. They cleaned the unit off with soap and water but there must have been a smell as a few weeks latter they left it at a helipad in the middle of the bush for a few hours. When they returned a huge grizzly was chewing on it like a chew toy and licking it. I heard it ended up costing more to fix that old GPS than it was to buy a new one.

Another story which is from a close friend who was a tree planting supervisor. He had some planters have a run in with a bear and have to use thier spray. He went back into that block a few days latter to do quality checks only to find a bear eating the ground where it was sprayed only a few days prior. The same bear that had been sprayed was back at the scene liking up the spray that put him on the run.

Bear spray or Pepper spray which ever name you use is still pretty nasty stuff. Basically the same as the stuff used in law enforcement, only Bear spray is stronger I think. Bear spray I know comes in a few different strengths 0.75% and 0.85% capsicum. I did actually happen to experience what the stuff feels like years ago when I was accidently sprayed by a friend of my brothers fooling around with a can of pepper spray when we were in Highschool at my parents house. I went to get the can from him because he was fooling around with it and some how the safety had fallen off and I got sprayed at point blank range. It took all of 10-20 seconds till I was totally incapacitated from the spray and I was 6'2" 240lbs at the time. Needless to say i was very mad at the guy who sprayed me but there was nothing i could do at the time because of the spray. This stuff is not to be played with and should be treated like a loaded gun.

I'm a pretty big guy and it put me on the ground I can't amagine how bad it would have been for that little girl.

While stationed at Fort Huachuca Arizona, I was selected to be the backup rifleman, for the Game Management People, for their annual "Cougar Survey" on the base. The Huachuca Mountain Range, is the last part of the Rocky Mountains, before it crosses into Mexico. The Huachuca Mountain Range is on Government/Military Land. I was the guy with the gun with the real bullets, standing behind the man with the gun with the darts. If he missed, and the Cougar charged, I would only get one shot off.

Running away from a Cougar, is silly. You cannot outrun a Cougar. They are vicious animals, with deadly claws. They can snap your neck with one bite. I have read reports of Grizzly Bears, giving wide berth to a Cougar. I do not think a handgun would be of use against a Cougar, as the round would not have enough impact energy, to kill.

If you are in remote areas, you play by their rules, not yours.....sometimes you are not on the top of the food chain.

Parnelli

Pepper spray is very popular with mail carriers.

Although there is a smaller chance of seeing a cougar around here than bears or wolves, Ive seen enogh sign of cougars to be aware of thier precense while working. I'd personally rather encounter a grizzly than cougar. At least I'm familiar with bear behavior and know how they react, cougars to me are too un predictable. I carry spray now but when I actually get all my papers in order I will be picking up a Handgun in the .44 or .45 cal range.

-Hillard

I am reminded of the advise I got years ago from an old timer. In order to avoid being mauled by wildlife you should attach a bell to your belt so that you don't surprise them, and carry pepper to throw in their faces as a last resort.

You should also know your scats. Brown bear scats are relatively small and often contain small sticks. Frequently they smell something like fish. Grizzly scats are much bigger, smell like pepper, and often contain little bells.

+ Reply to Thread