+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This might be a stupid newbie question

Default This might be a stupid newbie question

I've never seen a rod blank much less a kit, but I have my very first kit on it's way. I've been reading the board and the tutorials to get an idea of what's involved in the build. Now for the stupid question.... do the rod blanks themselves come in their finished state, meaning do you put any type of finish, shelac, sealer or anything on hte blank itself, or do you add the guides by wrapping and then only put a sealer on the wraps? Dumb question? LOL
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Nope..... GREAT question!

Default rod build

Bear, Not a dumb question. Were all patient here. Blank will be finished, all youll have to do is put finish on wraps. You went and done it now. Youll never be able too stop nowLOL Enjoy and dont be afraid to ask questions. Good wrappin Clyde

I have only worked on boo rods and don't know your answer but have often wondered about your very same question. Seems like a good one to me!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Harebear,

Not dumb at all. Clyde answered the question but I'll make a suggestion:

Try to get a book on rod-building. It really isn't complicated but the saying, "A picture is worth ......." certainly holds true. Much easier seeing photos or illustrations showing, and in what order, the various stages and steps than to read and try to visualize directions.

Good luck on the project. One word of caution: ONE! because often ya can't just stop at one.

Allan

Default rod building

Bear, go to your library. cant think of the guys name but the last is clemens. Good stuff. Theres also a rod building video floating arond somewhere. I think Jack Hise is the one sending it out

Default Video

Harebear;
    I've got 3 rod building videos to share. All are out right now I think!? I'm getting , With all the action going on with the Michigan Fish-In I don't know up from down right now. Sent me your snail mail addy and I'll send you the next one back.

In the Archives, right here on FAOL, click on features, then scroll down to rod building, and you will find a very well written 12 part tutorial on graphite rod building that is excellent. Al Campbell put this together and it is excellent to say the least and will offer you answers to most of the questions that you may already have, and many many more that you will encounter as you enter the dark side.

there are tons of books and videos out there that will help you. But I think that all of the answers you seek are in that series of articles.

As you have probably already noted, there are many knowledgable people on here that are willing to help you as well. Good luck with it, you will certainly love it!!

Flexcoat has a great 50 page book, Step By Step Rod Building.

http://www.flexcoat.com/resrcdex.html#rodbook

The tutorial here on this site is good also though the level of detail could be overpowering if you are just getting started. For instance, a lot of ink is used describing handle styles. A while back, I discovered that a simple round handle works for me. I just sand enough to level out the 1" diameter cork rings. It is actually an ergonomically sound design since form fitting grips are more likely to "freeze" the hand in one posture increasing fatigue.
    Bear742

The book is "The New Advanced Custom Rod Building" by
    Dale P. Clemens

Gemrod

+ Reply to Thread