+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Art of Angling Journal

Default Art of Angling Journal

Any one know if we are ever going to see another issue of The Art of Angling Journal?

Their website has said "in production" for several months now.

fishbum

I don't think we will see another publication of the mighty fine "The Art of Angling Journal". It must have been very costly to publish. And I don't think we will get our money back. I would have hoped the publisher(s) would have at least told us we won'd get our money back.

3. Default

This was a beautiful and expensive magazine to print for sure. As a retired magazine editor I know something about layout and printing costs and cannot comprehend how Paul Schmookler ever came up with a single issue price of $10.00. I bought them one at a time and have several in my library. As an example, I consider issues like Spring 2002, which had a complete list, recipes and photos of the great steelhead flies of California tier, Ed Haas to be treasures. If you have a collection of Arti of Angling Journal, I recommend that you don't allow anyone to borrow them and remove them from your home.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

Default Art of angling

I have every copy since day one. Do you think I could sell them for more that the $10.00 I have in them?

I think Paul has taken our money and run. Oh well.

Too soon old, too late smart.

fishbum

5. Default Schmookler

I don't know about selling the collection. You might try E-Bay. Put a price on the lot and see what trasnpires. As for getting your money back from Schmookler, I don't know if it would be worth the time, effort and legal costs, unless it was some kind of class action suit where everyone he owes money got involved. Just my 2-cents.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

It started out as a 4 issue per year deal. Magazine cost went up, and it changed to 4 issues per 'volumne'. He made his money on the ads, not the magazine price. In the beginning he locked in some key advertisers. Like other magazines I am sure he had problems collecting from other advertisers. Do you drop them or print one more ad for them and hope they come through? Last year at the Somerset show he told me he was having trouble getting well written articles. It was supposed to go for 5 years and end. Then he was going to sell it, but as Les said, publishing it is an expensive proposition and it would be a hard sell. Last I heard he was going to do a double issue, 2 in one so to speak.
    Only one that the local sport shop doesn't have and can't get is the second one. First one is still for sale for $50, others run from $25 to current actual price. I have the first year and had Paul sign the first one. Not sure if Paul has any for sale on his artofangling site. He does have a lot of his fly collection and some of his books for sale. I am sure he and Ingrid will be at the shows again this year.

Good stuff
    Bad publishing Co.

I have lots of them too. Nice reads but I've been screwed over LESS by ex-girlfirends.
    There shouldn't be any excuese. It ain't rocket surgery- it's writing and taking pictures.

And to be a bit positive.....I DID learn about the traditional Spey configurations from the aforementioned "journal"
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Unfortunately Paul is a little uneven in his work. He also screwed some of the writers. Bad. That word gets out fast.

+ Reply to Thread