+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a fly pattern

Default Need a fly pattern

While trout fishing a local river here this past weekend with a friend of mine from Nashville we discovered very active feeding fish, but, cannot come up with a pattern to tie to mimic the food source. I do not know what the proper name is for the insect. My friend said that the food source is the larva stage of the black fly. He has a guide friend who had told him that he had pumped the stomach of a couple fish and they were full of this little larva.

When you pick up a rock from the bottom of the river it will be completely covered with this food source. They are about 1/8th to 1/4th inches long. They look like real small black worms just wiggling on the outside of the rock. They are attached to the rocks at one end with the other end floating freely in the current.

I know this is a poor description, but, I would appreciate any information anyone can give me on what they are, what they become and a fly pattern. One of the rocks I looked at must of had 200 of them attached to it! The trout fed on these all day long. I think the canoe activity in the river would loosen these little critters from their rocks and as they floated down the river, the trout just had a feast.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I know what you're talking about, I don't know of a specific recipe to imitate them off hand, but I wonder if a griffith's gnat would work?

Warren,
    If they are black fly larva, and I have no idea if they are or not, you might want to try La Fontaine's Black Fly Larva. You may have to change the colors if it's not exactly what you see. It's also a pretty good all around nymph.

Hook: 2X heavy nymph hook
    Weight: Fine lead wire
    Rear Body: Dark olive floss over the back half
    Front Body: Dark gray dubbing over the front half
    Head: Black ostrich herl or marabou

He recommended coloring the last couple of inches of the tippet above the fly white with a marker because the larva uses a silken "web" to hold onto the rocks.

Joe

Thanks for the replies -- I feel pretty confident that they are a midge larva of some sort. The ones on the rocks would be a size 22 or 24!! I will continue to research this. I am thinking maybe a brassie made from black copper wire. I know that I will find something because the trout really liked them! Thanks everyone.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default midge Larvae

Why not just a black thread body on a 22 to #24 hook with a white thread rib or a silver wire rib ala Zebra Midge. Also a Yong special in black would probably work. Takes would probably depend on presentation anyway!
    Good luck
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Paddy,

I googled up the Yong Special and I think that pattern will work!! I might tie it on a scud hook so it will have the curve. Thanks so much for the pattern. Thanks to all.
    Warren

Hi Warren,

Here's a thread midge pupa pattern that I know some people have had great success with (my Dad's friend caught 27 fish in one day on the one fly I had given him; I now have to tie him a bunch more!)

These are best tied on curved grub, or scud hooks, sized to suit.

Tail: white fibers
    Body: black (tying thread)
    rib : fine silver wire
    thorax: red floss
    head: peacock hurl
    breathing filaments: white fibers

The "breathing filaments" are just white fibers sticking up through the peacock hurl head, and the thorax is just a wrap or two of the red floss between the body and the head. The body is tied "around the bend" so the whole thing should sort of look a bit curled up.

Below is a link to an image that has the above pattern at the top. The other 3 are just variations on the shape theme (with the 2nd just being a pheasant tail nymph tied on a curved hook). The latter two I was using seal fur for a dubbed thorax to produce a leggy look.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/ ... Midges.jpg

I've tied these between size 12 and size 16, but they could be tied smaller.

Good luck.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Thanks Jeff--Those will really be helpful and I will be tying tonight!! May God be with those trout next weekend!!

With my luck they will be on an entirely different pattern next week!
    Warren

Warrenp, check out the thread about micro caddis that I posted. Jeff put some very nice ties on there. For a black fly larvae, I usually use a slim, olive hares ear. In the spring, the fish gorge on them.

Hi psPaint,

The link above goes to the same image of the 4 midges. I didn't want to duplicate bandwidth so just posted the link this time.

Speaking of which, I've been wondering how you've been making out with those Micro Caddis? Any luck recently?

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread