+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly fishing in the surf

Default fly fishing in the surf

Hello,

I was curious if anyone has ever fly fished from the the beach. We have a family vacation planned and I am wanting to fish the surf. Any ideas on flies or lines that I might need. Thanks for all of the help.

Mike

What are you going after?

And where are you going? There are many of us here that fish the surf so I expect when we know the when, where and what we can help you with a better answer.

jed

To answer your first question, yes. And based on somewhat limited but informative experience . . .

You'll need sinking lines to fish the surf. You can't control and keep contact with a floating line in the surf. You may need a fast sinker.

It seems that all saltwater gamefish like chartreuse over white clousers. I've caught fluke on them this summer. Basically, though, you need to approximate the baitfish where you are fishing -- so clousers, deceivers, and the various epoxy headed flies.

I personally would try to find a fly shop nearby, ask their advice, and buy some flies there.

Maybe it's me, but I don't think saltwater gamefish are that picky regarding flies. The problem is either finding them or figuring out out to get where they are.

Watch for that clouser when the wind is blowing from your right!

I flyfish the surf quite a bit.Most of the time I use an intermediate line or a floater to a lesser extent.The intermediate casts better in the wind and gets just under the waves which helps keep you in touch with your fly.Sometimes a sinking shooting head works better.Whatever line you use,you need a stripping basket.This is a "must have" item.Without it you will go nuts trying to control your line in the waves.For flies,im usually throwing Clousers,jiggys or decievers.These can be tied to match just about any bait fish out there so it all depends on what you are going after.Clousers tied in chartreuse/white,tan/white/olive/white in various sizes will catch just about everything.
    When casting the surf,try casting at a 45 degree angle to the waves instead if casting directly out from the beach.This will give you better line control and a longer drift.Dont overlook fishing the wash where the waves break.Many fish feed here and are easy targets.I like to wade out about 10-15 feet off the beach and cast parallel to the beach.Learn to read a beach to find where the holes and cuts are.This takes time and practice but its worth the effort.Good luck and I hope this helps you.

Not sure if you're going to be doing it a lot... but one of the things I'll never go to the surf without is a stripping basket (reiterate Skip's post).

You can make one for <$10... buy a dishwashing tub, and a belt. cut slots in tub, feed belt through... done.

I use an intermediate line for most, if not all of my beach fishing.

Oh... and strip your fly all the way to the beach... if you're going for stripers, you'll be surprised how close they can get in the surf.

Good info here, especially Skip's mention of the stripping basket. Very important

Fishing the surf is just about my favorite form of fly fishing.
    I use a floating line when I can, but switch to a full sink when the wind or the surf is high. Contrary to popular opinion, you have more control when using a floating line.
    For me, Clousers, jiggys and the like are pain to cast, especially in the wind. I like long, sparse flys with plenty of action, like flat wings or big deceivers.
    A fly with a muddler style head, like a snake fly, will help you keep in contact with what's happening at the end of your line.
    As Skip said, reading the water is key. Look for travel lanes between bars and places where bait can be trapped by game fish, like bowls and points.
    I'd bet I catch most of surf caught fish in the wash not much more than a rods lenght away.
    Like Lou Tabory said "When the wind is in your face, the fish are at your feet".
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Out here we use floating lines. A lot easier to control as they don't sink into the churning surf. Most stripping boxes are more trouble than they are worth. We use a sinking tip line when targeting King salmon, but a floater for silvers. If we used a sinking line we would be fishing underneath the fish. Silvers travel very near the surface.

Lots of good info. We plan on staying on Nuvaro ( hope thats how you spell it ) on the Gulf side of Florida. Thanks for all of the good info. I have an 8wt Sage RPL that I will probibly use, but I dont have any sinking lines.

Thanks,
    Mike

You can often pick up an inexpensive inermediate line which is a nice option. he surf it is not too deep so a leader of 8' should be able to get you down. The Gulf coast is generally a smaller surf than the ocean so that also makes the need for a sinking or intermediate line less essential. Sounds like you have enough equipment to make a go of it, but don't let that stand in the way of buying more toys

For those who fish in fast currents or large surfs don't forget your PFD. I have an inflatable life vest which helps me feel secure, expecially when I am out alone. There are too many stories of good, experienced and generally wisened fishermen who made that one mistake and were swept out to sea. Don't let that be you.

jed

+ Reply to Thread