+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wrap Finish Question????

Default Wrap Finish Question????

As I am getting ready to do the second coat on my 2wt. I had a thought
    (as amazing as that seems), Has anybody tried "Loon" UV Knot Sense for wrapping? Just Curious.
    Bill

I have never built a rod, but was thinking about delving into it. I too wondered this question.

Hydlide

Bill;
    I would not try it on my first rod. I'd experiment on an old rod section first.
    See you and Jean in a week friend. My offer for the use of my 2 wt. reel still stands!

Default Wrap Finish

Jack,
    Rod is finished, and I didn't try the UV glue, I just get these "strange" questions that "Roam" around my "Gourd" from time to time.
    Jean has learned to "ignore " me when I get like That!
    Bill

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the Loon glue you are referencing, but if it isn't really flexible, you might not like the results on a finished rod. Experiment on a piece of a blank, some old graphite arrow shafts or something similar and see how it goes.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

There are a few reasons why I would caution against UV Knot Sense for thread coating, at least on a rod you put a lot of time and money into. First, it's designed to cure with UV exposure, which means that it doesn't have the UV blockers that good rod finishes have in them to protect the wraps against sun damage and retard yellowing. Remember, a rod is going to be in use for a lot longer than your line/leader knot or the head of a fly, two common uses for UV Knot Sense. It is also very flexible, which might seem an advantage at first blush, but I'm concerned that it's so flexible that the guides won't be locked down sufficiently and might pull out in the future under strain. Third, and this is entirely a cosmetic issue, UV Knot Sense forms a football, and that's a look that I don't care for, coming from a bamboo perspective. I look for finishes that produce the lowest build, not the highest. Now, nothing wrong with experimenting, and if you're really curious, consider trying it on one wrap for a while--you can always rewrap one guide later after a trial of a season or two.

PS. I almost forgot--UV Knot Sense goes cloudy after it gets wet, so if you ever get your pole wet . . . .

Would you use a super glue as a finish for your guide wraps? Super glues are cyanoacrylate; Loon's Knot Sense is a UV curable cyanoacrylate. Super glues (cyanoacrylates) are not intended as a finish and I wouldn't recommend using them as one.

Bill;
    Don't forget to bring that beauty to the Fish-In!!

+ Reply to Thread