+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scarry Heddon #10

Default Scarry Heddon #10

I asked for it! Yes, I was on ebay not too long ago and found a beater- upper project with splits all over, cork half gone, guides and tip-tops rusted, wraps brittle. Paid $18 for it- noone else wanted to touch it I guess. Positives all (4) sections, realseat good, ferrules good.
    I have since stripped it and about ready to go by some Gorilla glue and cord to fix the splits atleast (2) 6" in every section. Still a little taken-back about this process as it is about the same as glueing strips for a brand new bamboo blank with how many splits there are. Oh well, time to step up and be a real rod refinisher.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I wonder if I will ever get tired of looking at pictures of old cane rods. Why do I even do it.... I have no idea.

WC;
    A tip I got from deleo. Wrap just past the splits very tightly. Open the splits with sewing pins to help the glue get into them. Remove the pins and wrap the split area. After the glue dries the wraps can be removed.

Jack,
    I've read DLeo's recommendation and have used it prior. Let's see, in the last 2+ years I've fixed 3 splits in 8 rods.
    For this Heddon, I'll be fixin' 8 splits in 4 sections. Oh the things I get myself into.
    Forgot to mention that the lady I purchased this from contacted me sometime after I got and asked of my progress as the rod meant a great deal to her (didn't mention relationship etc). I told her very slowly due to all of the issues with bringing it back but would send her pics upon completion. She was excited.
    With that, I have a good feeling once this rod is finished, it will bring much joy and fish!!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton

Hey WC...
    a word of caution on fixing those splits since they are in every section and as long as they are...

I think I would stand the rod or lay the rod in a warm area with low humidity for a while before i did the repair. With that much delamination, I would be cautious of moisture content of the bamboo. Secondly, get an old toothbrush to work the glu all the way into the openings you are able to get to...and lastly, after you glue and wrap it, you may want to sight down the section to ensure that it is reasonably straight before the glue sets...

I found out the hard way once when I made a bamboo boomerang out of one that was split similar to your description....took several hours to get it straightened out.

Good luck with it and show us some pictures of it when it is done...

by the way, do you have any of the Orange/Black Jasper that the rod was original with? Pearsalls works really well and while it isn't the same it is pretty close...
    Leo

Dleo,
    Thanks for the words of advice and caution. Unfortunately, my refinishing jobs are done with small budgets so I do not have the jasper threads that you speak of. I usually just go to the silk/nylon solid colors that match as closely to the shade (w/o the black highlights) of the original. My rods have been mainly brought back to fishing condition and decorated plainly and taken to water. They're all blue collar rods and I am keeping with the legacy of them being nondescript workhorses- and me w/a very sore casting arm.

I picked up a Heddon 10 with similar problems with delamination.What I found very helpful in the gluing process was to use small"O" rings that can be placed on the rod alittle farther up from the split,after applying your glue the "O" rings can be rolled down over the damaged area quickly,holding the strips in their proper places while you wrap dental floss or thread over the damage,"O" rings and all.
    John

Leo/John,
    Since you both have dealt with long delams, is there a safeway to remove some of the old glues or should I just leave it and just apply more glue prior to securing wraps?
    Thanks.

Fortunately the rod I had didn't have much old glue.The sections fit together great, with no glue line.
    When glueing the delamination I found that if you use a small piece of paper and slide it down the delamination to where it is tight,by doing this you can get the glue all the way to the contact point.Hope this will help.
    John

Default delam

sometimes it is better to leave the old glu in there rather than to try to get it out....don't want to run the risk of removing any of the boo ..but then again if the old glue keeps the sections from seating, then use a very dull object to scrape the glue out if you can without continuing the delamination...

Quinn, send me your address and I will send you a spool of the Jasper...

Leo

+ Reply to Thread