+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't figure it out

Default I can't figure it out

Hey gang I have a problem and I know that someone out there will have the solution. My problem is that whenever I tie my foam hoppers they always land upside down and I just can't figure it out, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Remember it is a weight thing as to how a fly will land. Sound's to me like you are using to light of a hook with to many materials on top of the hook? Without seeing the fly it will be hard to say for sure. But try a heavier hook. Ron

Furthering what Ron said, With the heavier hook, taper the foam towards the rear and if weighted cortrectly, the fly will flop over and be hook-down all on its own. Experiment in a rubbermaid tib on your kitchen sink. You can get them tuned that way. Keep a low center of gravity on the fly and sometimes using a Daiichi 1260 curved nymph hook on terrestrials will help a bunch too. A heavy hook, ands it already positions the hook lower (due to the curve) than a straight shank hook. Better for flopping the foam over I have found.

Here's what you can do, too...

Tie one of your hoppers with the hook point up and see if it lands correctly. If so, fish it that way and see if it works.

Just trying to help...

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

troutstalker99,

Could be an Australian pattern and you'll never get it to land bottom side down. Couldn't resist. I would have to agree with Ron though. Try a heavier hook.

Leo C.

If you are tying everything on top you might try using a technique where some of the foam is below the shank....that is having a layer of foam below and above...nice way to tie body segments....might be just enough weight shift....

I do think though that Leo C nailed it...it's gotta be a down under pattern

Ok you didn't say what pattern you are talking about here. I assume it is a Chernobyl or Club Sandwich type of fly. These patterns have serious turn over issues. The solution is to add a deer hair wing. The increased drag created on the top side of the fly will cause the fly fly to land belly down every time.

Or try a new pattern all together... Many good ones out there.. or make your own up as you go!!

Tied and tried many.. My favorite is AK's Hopper.. and it gives me probs in the landing...well a fish'in I must go!!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Put a wing of polypro off the back of the thorax & a parachute on the front of the thorax. Lands correctly 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MOturkE
    Here's what you can do, too...

Tie one of your hoppers with the hook point up and see if it lands correctly. If so, fish it that way and see if it works.

Just trying to help...

Brilliant

+ Reply to Thread