+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning rod cork?

Default Cleaning rod cork?

Just wanting to know what is the best method for cleaning the cork handle on my fly rods. I Have one I might need to replace due to not cleaning or just using too much. Thanks. Gary

I don't know of any way to clean the cork to renew it, but I have heard that most people renew the grip to looking new by lightly sanding it. This method is probably the least likely to severely damage the cork. I've tried this on spinning rods years ago, and it works fairly well, but I've never done it to any of my fly rods - I kinda like the aged look. Makes me feel like I get out on the water more than I really do.....

Jake

I am told by someone with much greater authority on the preservasation of of old bamboo fly rods than I, the best way to clean cork (if that is what you intend to do) is to use a soft cloth with vinegar. Use the clear vinegar, apple or otherwise won't make any difference. Wipe on, wipe off. Vinegar is also an excellent product to clean gummed up fly reels. Don't forget to re-lubricate.

Vinegar is a harmless cleaner, good for the enviroment and good for the fly equipment. It is also good on lettuce with olive oil and a spice or two.

Soft scrub and a green 3M pad. Your grip will look new. I do mine every year. I sent a bamboo rod back to the makerto have a ferrule plug made and he thought the rod was never fished it was so perfect.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Jonezee,

Your reply is classic!!

Vinegar is basically acetic acid with all it's pro's and con's.

I do like Ray stated. I use soft scrub and rince it well. It takes most of the dirt, grime and oil off without changing the shape/size of the handle.

Jim Smith

Gun Scrubber Spray. You won't ever use anything else

Default Baking Soda

Get the cork and your hand wet. Put a lot of baking soda on the cork and your hand. Rub the cork. Rinse. Repeat. Then rinse some more. No scrubbies necessary with this method.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

i'll second the baking soda, although i use a soft bristle tooth brush to scrub. works great

+ Reply to Thread