+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spinner flies

Default Spinner flies

How do you fish these spinner baits with your fly rod. Do you use an indecator? This has interested me since I saw some tiny spinners at WM.
    CR

Blog Entries

I have never tried using an indicator, to me it would be just more on the line to encumber casting. But that's just me.

My recommendation would be to fish it like a streamer, strip it in to give it the spinning effect that its supposed to render.

I tend to cast them up and across, And swing them much as you would a wet fly...

You might do better to tye your own,In that, You will be able to control the weight of your spin flies much better and eliminate all that wire that the commercial model's employ. As well as add/subtract bulk in the tail's to get the bouncy your wanting for the flows you'll be fishing....

I'll add a pic...

I tye mine on Mustad 79580's or any long shank hook with a limerick bend will do nicely... I've spent a few years refining and have settled on what works best for me in my fishing...Feel free to email if you have any Q's.

Wish ya great fishing,Bill

What are sources of double o spinner blades...also propellers?

Kinda sounds like "Joe's Flies". I used to use them spin fishing, and have tried them a time or two on the fly rod, but with no success. My buddy uses them quite a bit and fishes them like a streamer though. The only ones that work really well for him are the ones that have actual streamer flies on them, like the Muddler.

Oh yeah the Joe's flies are or were great I liked the hare's ear and muddler best and caught hundreds of trout on them over the years when I live near trout waters. They worked good in fast waters and early season in lakes.

Duckster,
    Double ought blades are quite small and I find that they tend not to spin all that easily, They do flutter decent but need a pretty good steady strip to obtain continuous spin...which means a fast retrieve is a must..

The next size up will allow you to swing your fly with the current on a slack less line, and still give a nice steady slow spin with just a bare minimum of stripping line... Just some thoughts.

The type of thin blades I use are by no means easy to find...and are getting harder to find every day.... Rehoboth Beach MD is my best source....I can get 500 packs there for just a few dollars...anyone heading that way???....LOL
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread