+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal fly shop???

Default Ideal fly shop???

After reading through the Cabela's and Orvis threads (not too carefully, I'll admit...) It seeemed that a lot of the replies had something to do with their local fly shop. Good or bad. Either they really liked the 'local' shop and felt that it needed support, or they disliked the local shop because it was too pricey, too snobbish, poorly stocked, or sold stuff that they didn't like.

So, what would be your 'ideal' fly shop?

I'll start.

My ideal fly shop would be right down the street from the house.

It would carry all the fly tying stuff I need or want, relieving me of EVER having to mail order anything.

They would sell rod building supplies and always have what I needed in stock.

They wouldn't sell gifts, clothing, or stuff that I don't buy there, except for when I need them to have a special item like a new fishing shirt or vest, and maybe a gift or two for friends, but only exactly the 'right' thing.

They would sell everything for the same or a lower cost than the catalogs, AND, because I'm such a good guy and loyal customer, they'd give me an additional discount (only 'me' though, so they can keep making money so they'd stay open).

The owner would always be there, so I wouldn't have to deal with hired help. It would be open early in the morning (for coffee) and stay open late so I could run up after dinner for that forgotten piece of material I need to tie the flies I just have to have for tommorrow..

Fly fishermen would feel comfortable hanging around just to talk, and they would never feel that the owner needed to handle other customers or do anything else while they were in the store but carry on a conversation about fishing (or whatever was the current topic of interest).

How about you? Whats 'ideal' to you?

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Mine would have a lil coffee bar inside where the coffee fee is a monthly fee hehe and chairs to chat in were free. Nice cigars or good pipe tobacco should be sold.
    Maybe have some donuts and oatmeal.

All the cronies stop by...kinda like here! hehe

We noob's can sit and listen to the old timers and learn something from em.

They would sell all or most of the stuff for tying I'de need and get it for a discount if they didn't carry that particular item.

Also, be nice if they were close.

The owner and his son/daughters run it, so that they actually care about the customers.

And they better not look at me funny when I come in dressed in my sweats or a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. The thing I hate the most is being watched like a hawk cause I'm not snobby. Hehehe I'm poor BECAUSE I am honest. I walk out of fly shops for doing that. There selection dousn't matter if they are rude.

Be nice if they didn't only carry the ultra hi end super expencive stuff, I've got kids and therefore no money to spare on a six hundred dollar 4wt rod. Sides my favorite rod is a 6w I bought at a swap meet with a hidden crack in it between the butt and grip. I put a dowel in there...its an old glass rod at that.

Maybe a used gear section. So those of you with to many rods and reels you dont use could get some cash you could. While those of us without the extra cash could get to use those rods.

And best of all Castwell and Ladyfiher would stop by and chat once in awhile.

boy this site knows how to get the mental processes going hehe.

------------------
    A kind word is absolutely free to give, but totally priceless to recieve

They would actually keep fisherman's hours.

Pappy,
    My ideal shop is quite similar to yours & actually exists in Girard, Ohio. Books and Hooks is owned by Father Bud & Son Scott. Has a great staff, over 1,000 books, a great stock of equipment, tying supplies, a candy jar & coffee pot (both free) & a nice long table with chairs for readin', BSin', or just takin' a break. Friendliest shop I've ever set foot in. Only problem is that they're 50 miles down the road....but more than worth the drive!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I'm at a age that I don't need a fly shop any more--I've have everything.
    I did see a fly tying table in one with everyting needed to tie.

------------------

Bill

Or maybe right on the river where you fish,....just in case.

I was planning on opening one a few months ago.. but a death in the family put it on hold (due to burial)...

But.. this was my Idea..

"I did"
    want 2 coffee pots (one for decaf other reg)..
    a sitting place with a big table about 5-8 chairs (so it didnt get to loud).. for BSing and a plastic holding container for tying materials.. and a few extra vise.. sit, drink, bs, and tye.. all at the same table.. plus a smaller table for quite reading from the selection of books..

A display self for all the little "hatch" time insects coming off and around the water..

A nice selection off rods and reels.. plus a few combo's (mostly low end).. But up to 5 nice ones on the wall for display.. but would sell for the person most interested in them..

outside have a nice casting pond to teach or learn something new..

have a list of local guides with and without drift boats.. plus myself..

I would have a small selection of clothing (but only as a guide for ordering)
    need room for waders and vests..

a nice selection of flies, tippets, and other accessories for the fly fisherman..

Hours would be...
    7am-7pm M-T
    5am-7pm F& S
    close Sunday..Church... (plus I need time on the water for myself)
    the store would be run by me, my dad and my 3 sons

And a suggestion/complaint box that would be check weekly for anything people would like to see or do different in the store

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 26 April 2005).]

My ideal fly shop would be all the things mentioned above, but would be a coffee shop in the morning and a brewpub in the afternoon.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

The one that I could open someday!!!!! Its always nice to think big.

Seege

I think Leonard said it best so far.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread