+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wading jackets - Patagonia Deep wading vs. Stretch SST

Default Wading jackets - Patagonia Deep wading vs. Stretch SST

Any opinions on whether the SST is worth the extra $125 over the deep wading jacket?

I would be using the jacket over waders (or waterproof pants) both while fishing from a boat and while wading.

What I'm wondering is durability/waterproofness of the deep wader compared to the SST, and if the shorter cut offers and disadvantages.

Any other input would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Troy

I've got the deep wading jacket and like it very well. It does come up short in some ways though.

Strengths: Packs small enough to fit well in the back of a vest, ideal length to wear with waders, good hood design, HUGE chest pockets, water resistant cuffs, totally waterproof, and breathes well.

Shortcomings: Bottom hits about my belly-button and would leave a gap between rain pants and jacket, lighter material not the toughest out there, and not Gore-Tex, so don't let the Deet hit it.

I think its ideal for wearing with waders or for some core warmth when wading wet, but I wouldn't like it when wearing waterproof pants. Just so you know, mine is a XXL, and I am 5'10" and about 250, with most of the girth around my chest rather than waist, slowly changing to the opposite as the years go by.

I've had a SST jacket for a few years now and love it. Very durable, will keep you nice and dry, I would'nt trade it for anything. The only down side is that it is slightly heavier than other wading jackets and can get hot in the summer.....Overall I would rate it as outstanding.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

4. Default

I use the Deep Wading jacket, which is lighter and packs smaller. I like it. It works very well if you are wearing waders but it might be a little short if you were wearing normal length pants. I also paid around 1/3 of the cost of the SST for it, which made it an even better option.

Well, I think I might be well prepared to reply here-I have both!! My SST has been around the block over the last ten years(to say the least) and this was the season I settled on to get a new one...I was dismayed to find that the SST was not being offered in the "classic" style any longer and was sorta leery of the 2.5 ply layering of the DWading. I decided to go for the DWading anyway knowing the open return policy that Patagonia offers...Its been about a month and I am not sorry. It is a indeed a great jacket. Maybe not as sturdy(read: heavy) as my SST(3ply vs 2.5ply), but the light weight and packability more then compensate(I always felt that my SST didn't store in my vest well). It is also about 3.5" shorter then the SST and sits at about the same "waist" as my vest...much nicer...not as practical for around town, but thats not why I got it. It is cut big(I bought the XL) so can fit easily over my vest and the hood is perfect. The breathable layer fabric is the same in both jackets. A great value considering what I paid for my SST

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

[This message has been edited by DARKSTAR (edited 27 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread