+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress of White Fly Hatch in PA

Default Progress of White Fly Hatch in PA

I would like to try to make it up for the hatch, and hear that they are ahead of schedule this year. Does anyone know where they are now? Also, what types of flies are people using for the hatch in PA?

Thanks.

Dave

P.S. Do the FAOL accounts have an expiration date? I hadn't posted in a while, and had to create a new account.

Sorry,,, nope. Some almost ten years old.

Dave,

Not sure if it's on the upper Delaware yet. When it is, it's spectacular. The White Wulff in sizes 12 and 14 seem to work as well as a white comparadun and white compara-spinner. This hatch is usually so thick it's difficult to identify your fly among the naturals.

Good luck.

Allan

we're about 2 weeks early over here with the Ephoron album hatch - it swung into full bloom yesterday. Got to go out tonite and see if I can drither up some pics .......

darrell,

Dave,
    First, are you looking for the Susquahanna River or the Delaware?
    The white fly hatch on the Susq. is a little ahead of normal. Normal being mid August for the main hatch. I fish the white fly hatch every year on the susquahanna. The best fly to use for this "super" hatch is a white moth pattern, for the simple reason that your fly is one out of a couple million flies on the water. Casting to rising fish is you best bet, the moth will give the apperence of a "cluster" of flies insted of a single fly. I recomend fishing with a 7 weight or bigger, for we hook into a lot of different fish during this hatch. Every species of fish feeds during the white fly hatch. We catch musky,pike,smallies,carp, and even big channle cats all on the surface.
    I live three blocks away from the river and have been fishing it for the past fifteen years with a fly rod. That being said, if you're looking to fish it , it's going to happen with in the next three weeks. I'll check with a good friend of mine who owns and operates our local fly shop to see exactly when it will happen, I'll post another reply this week with more info for you. Until then keep your line wet and your pants dry! Dave
    www.freewebs.com/davehazeltine
    p.s.
    Check my web site for fly hatches here in pa

http://www.yellowbreeches.com/streamscurrent.html Here's a clue from the Yellow Breeches. Randy

Yes, I am looking for information on the Susquehanna and it's tributaries ... such as the Yellow Breeches.

Thanks for the information.

Dave.

Dear Whiteflies:

Please hold off on the Susquehanna above New Cumberland for a few weeks till the river level goes down to safe wading levels.

Pretty please???

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly1
    That being said, if you're looking to fish it , it's going to happen with in the next three weeks. I'll check with a good friend of mine who owns and operates our local fly shop to see exactly when it will happen, I'll post another reply this week with more info for you. Until then keep your line wet and your pants dry! Dave
    p.s.
    Check my web site for fly hatches here in pa
    I hope I can time a trip up during this year's hatch. BTW, I love the PA hatch chart on your web site. I have been looking for something like that.

Dave

Dave,
    We are getting sparse hatches right now, I would say the main hatch wil be happening this week, around tuesday or wednsday. Sorry it took me so long to post, but I was away for a little while. This past friday I took notice to some white flies gathering around lights in farly big clusters, which means the main hatch is not far off like I said. As I mentioned before, think clusters, not single flies when trying to fish this hatch. I'll be going out around the wilkes- barre area this week around dusk for some channle cats on the fly. Hope you get the chance to give it shot! later,Dave

+ Reply to Thread