+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We asked for it and we got it! Lets make it work!

Default We asked for it and we got it! Lets make it work!

Hey Folks,

OK, we now have a paddle forum for canoes and kayaks. Kewl!
    It's already been mentioned that it's kind of far down on the boards.
    "The squeaky wheel get's the grease" is how it works. If we generate
    the traffic here, the real estate will improve accordingly. It's all up to us.

What do we want to accomplish with this forum? Why even have a
    paddle forum on a fly fishing site? Here is my take. Lots of us fish waters
    other than streams or ponds easily accessible from the banks. In many
    situations, without a boat you can't even access the waters. Canoes and
    kayaks are generally affordable, relatively easy to transport and they do
    work for us. Also, they fit the minamalist attitude that lots of us share.
    I suggest that we expand our forum to include ALL paddle or rowing type
    craft that we have adapted to our fisheries. What works for the pontoon
    boats, drift boats, and even the home made prams or dinghys can work
    for all of us.

First off, lets identify ourselves. Lets run a thread on what we paddle
    and where we fish. Lets list the likes and dislikes of what we paddle.
    Kind of a mini review on our respective craft. I've seen numerous posts
    in recent years from fence straddlers thinking about combining paddling
    with their fly fishing obsession. Knowing what others paddle and their
    opinions of their craft might be a great incentive for the new guys.

When we throw the yak or canoe on the rack, lets remember the
    camera. Nothing generates enthusiasm like a picture of the one that
    didn't illude your fly and perhaps a shot of your favorite waters. Doing
    a special trip? Would it make a good article and make the rest of us
    green with envy? Take the camera along, write it up and send to
    Publisher@flyanglersonline.com for perusal. Got some good tips on
    techniques that are working well for you? This is the place for them.
    Experiencing problems you need help with? This is the place for that
    as well. This forum WILL be exactly what we make it. If you have
    suggestions, we're listening. Lets work together to make the Paddling
    forum a worthwhile addition to a great site. Warm regards, Jim

Hi Jim. Can this post be made "Sticky" so that it appears at the top of this section?

The Paddling Board is a cool new feature on FAOL.

I fish from my Hobie mirage drive Outback kayak every chance I get. Locally, I've done best with bluegill and crappie. When I travel, I'm usually chasing rainbow trout.

My most recent changes to the stock Outback were to add a cam cleat anchor point behind the seat...very handy when I want to face downstream on my favorite spring creek (very slow current...there are safety issues with anchoring like this in faster current).

I also added a Scotty rod holder behind the seat to carry a spare rod but find that a second rod sticking up behind the seat isn't a good idea (too easy to snag it on a back cast).

Instead, I'm pondering how to attach a double-barrel rod holder that will let me carry the spare rod broken down (but strung) as though it were a 2-piece rod. Tuck the current rod into the empty side, pull out the spare rod, assemble the two pieces and it's ready to go. Switching should take less than a minute or two....

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Kayaks

I have a Wilderness Systems Victory Blast Kayak. It is 9' long, cockpit size is 40 1/2" by 22". It weighs 43 lbs. Max Load is 300+ lbs. It is rated for up to Class III whitewater. It has cargo straps on the hull at the bow and stern. I have equipped it with a spray-skirt (I don't usually use the skirt when I'm fishing), flotation bags, bilge pump and paddle/rod leash.

I fish everywhere in it, even on the coast in Al., Ga., and Fl. It pretty much stays on top of my Geo Tracker.

I plan on buying a Touring, and a full-blown Whitewater Kayak soon.

Semper Fi!

Ok, if this is the thead where we identify ourselves, our 'yaks and where we fish, I'll contribute here.

I have a Tarpon 120 that I bought this year. I was headed towards a Hobie Quest, but the 120 came available at 25% off, so I jumped at it. It was kind of a lucky thing, because I really like this kayak and am glad I have it.

It's equipped with a Wilderness Systems rudder and an anchor pulley. The hatch covers on the Tarpons have a tendency to come off, so I have hatch cords that keep them from doing that. I also have an orange flag (so the power boats can see me), and a running light for night.

The 'yak is mango. And I strongly recommend a highly visible 'yak. I've had it out in the salt, and I've found that the power boats can see me a long ways away based on how far they start changing direction. I was a little lucky on that also because that wasn't the color I wanted. You can always put a flag on your 'yak, but that's a little wind drag. I only use mine if I'm out by myself where there are power boats.

I like the WS seat that comes with the tarpons a lot. I did add a seat cushion. I have no problems being in this 'yak for hours at a time.

The weakness of the Tarpons is that they aren't laid out for accessories that well, and the gear storage could be better. In my opinion, those weaknesses are made up by far by the fact that they are great paddlers (for an SOT). The 120 tracks well and is pretty fast for its size (12'). Of course, being fast and tracking are correlated things. I can vouch for this because I've been out with Prowler 15s, and haven't had problems keeping up.

I've got a Ram rod holder up front and a Scotty behind on my left (I'm a right handed caster). But I don't really use them. I just take one rod and a couple of lines. I either lay the in the cockpit with the tip pointed out front or I troll when going from place to place.

The 120 is fully capable of being launched in the surf, though I haven't done that yet. That is something I'm going to do.

Regarding the places I fish, I'm still working on that. I've been out the most times on a glacial freshwater lake that's about 1/2 hour from my house. It's very deep and is limited to electric motors. The lake is known as a pretty good bass lake and will holdover stocked trout because of it's depth. I've had a great time fishing yellow gurgle-pops there and even caught a 4.5 lb LM on a gurgle-pop. I have plans to fish a few more lakes around this summer.

I've also had the 'yak down to the bay side of Sandy Hook, and out in LI Sound several times. One thing about Long Island sound is that there are quite a few rocky areas that you can't access for wade fishing, and that are dangerous for boats. In fact, they are labeled "foul" on the charts, so I don't think boats are going to get in there. By kayak, though, it's not a problem -- or not a big problem. I'm probably not going to go there alone. Those rocky spots are great places for stripers (aka "rockfish"), and it might be that you can only fish those places from a kayak.

Still exploring. I've always had fun fishing, but the kayak has really added to the fun this year.

Good luck on yours!

Default Kayaking

Man! You've got that right. I've discovered a whole new world that I didn't even know existed. I've been finding places in my kayak that I never noticed before.

Bicycling is like that as well. I've been commuting by bicycle a lot lately due to the high gas prices, and every day I find something that I never noticed before.

I guess in a kayak (or bike) you actually experience the areas you're traveling in, rather than just passing through. It's great!

Semper Fi!

I'm a minimalist when it comes to my fishing. That's why paddling has always been for me.
    I have a glass Lincoln canoe that's 40 years old and still in great shape.
    My Perception Aqua Terra kayak on the other hand looks it's age and then some
    The canoe is for fresh water, the yak for the salt.
    Other than a paddle holder for the kayak, I have never made any modifacations to either boat and like them just fine the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFlatBrook
    And I strongly recommend a highly visible 'yak. I've had it out in the salt, and I've found that the power boats can see me a long ways away based on how far they start changing direction. I was a little lucky on that also because that wasn't the color I wanted.
    My yak is red, my PFD is yellow, but I believe the most visible part of my kayak gear is the white blades of my paddle.
    Watch other yakers, some blade colors are much more noticable than others. You'll see what I mean.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dudley,

I have added a rod holder, paddle clips and an spring loaded cam cleat. Its a little more than you but I find the rod holder great for trolling and keeping my rod from being under foot. The cam cleat is for anchoring and allows me to quickly release my anchor if I find the need.

jed

Default Yaks

Can we post pictures of our rigs here? I'd like to see some of our set-ups. I might learn something.

Semper Fi!

Default Re: Yaks

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    Can we post pictures of our rigs here? I'd like to see some of our set-ups. I might learn something.

Semper Fi!
    Those kind of pics seem to be going into the "Intro & Paddle Boat Review " Thread -Right?

Or should there be a "Paddle Boat Rigging Thread"?

+ Reply to Thread