+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use Of Marabou

Default Use Of Marabou

Hi All! This may sound like a real silly question and so I apologize in advance, but I had a question about using marabou feathers. In all of the instructions I have followed I have always used the tip, measuring the proportion to the shank in accordance with the recipe. I saw an article where I think the author was fanning out the feather from the stem, and then stripping some of the fibers from the stem and using those on the particular fly. This would open up the use of some of the "fluffier" parts of the feather near the stem base on a smaller hook, and I think might impart some better action to the tail. Does this sound like anything anyone else is doing? Again, sorry for a stupid question, but I'm still learning my way as I go.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Absolutely. I will use the tip of the marabou feather as a tail, but I generally prefer to use the individual barbules along the shaft of the feather. I think they provide better action in the water and make a less "squared off" profile than if you use the tips of the marabou feathers. I try waste as little if the feathers as I can.

Jim Smith

Hi Bob,

For Wooly Buggers and other such flies with large maraboo tails I'll use the tips. However, I'll strip off the fibers and dubb them on to make a maraboo rope for doing bodies rather than wrap the feather itself. I'll use stripped maraboo for tails if I'm just making a small tail, as on a wee wet fly.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Default FAOL link

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... rt134.html

I believe there was also a thread discussing this and some of the folks recommended after you segment it as discussed you fold the barbules over the stem and tie i that bunch.

Hi Jeff and DMan. Thanks for the replies. DMan, that tip you pointed me to looks like just the thing to try, and that comment about a pillow fight if you don't have an anchor at the end is right on the money! LOL. I just downloaded it into my fly tying directory to make sure I don't loose it! I should have thought to browse around there first, so thanks for the heads up. I will be trying this out tonight on a couple of patterns.
    Good Fishing!
    Bob
    Bob

Bob, Let us know how it worked out. I haven't tied enough flies using marabou lately... since that discussion... but definitely want to give it a try.

When using Marabou as the wing on a streamer I suggest that you cut the center inch or so out of the feather. You will get a lot more movement in the wing of the streamer if you do. I use one feather per streamer when tying most flies. Unless large or calling for more than one color in the wings make up. I also strip the upper quill of all marabou before starting to tie it just makes a nicer fly. Do all this before starting to tie.

Another trick when tying with marabou. As you know it is very unruly stuff to work with. Use water. Just take a small plate and an old washcloth. Fold the cloth and wet it with water. Lift the fold and pull the feather through it and press down on the top of the cloth while doing this. It will wet the marabou and save you a lot of problems. Easy and safe way to wet it. You can use the cloth to wet your fingers when you need them damp to spin dubbing to. Like I said it is a safe way to do thing's. I see a lot of people wetting there fingers with there tounge and they are taking a chance of getting sick doing this.

One other marabou that I use a lot and most people do not is on the base of feathers. It is short and works for the tailing on flies very well. I use it for emergers and for nymph's. Ron

Ron,
    What's your opinion of blood quill marabou vs what I guess is the more mature feather? And is it accurate to assume that strung marabou feathers are blood quill?

I tend to trim the marabou off the stem and use it for tails wings or bodies. I use the water technic to control it and like to twist it for bodies. I tend to go through a lot of marabou in a month

Hi All! Jim, I forgot to give you a thanks before as well, and Ron, I was hoping you would weigh in as you Always have practical and very good advice. I always read your replies as I go thru this section. I have really gotten a lot of very good info with everyones replies, and will be able to put it to immediate use. The Clouser Nymph will be first, and I'm going to do some Buggers as well. I have to say it again, I don't think there is a better site for fly tying advice and knowledge.
    Once again, Thanks!
    Bob Cunningham
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread