+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type IV sinking line

Default Type IV sinking line

How hard is the type IV sinking line to cast? Right now I have a type II, that isn't hard to cast at all. The problem with that it dosen't seem to take the deer hair flies under the surface to well and it sinks slow. I want a line that will get the deer hair flies down.

No more difficult than a type II, nor any easier.

I'm with tailingloop on this one, I have never noticed any difference in the casting of fast sinking to slow sinking lines. They just sink quicker.
    All the best
    Mike.

The difficulty comes trying to pick the line up off the water because the line is not on the water but in the water. It gets deeper faster so even making that quick pickup after a sloppy cast that you do with floating line and rhe fudge with intermediate line often cannot be made with sinking line. Once its arealized it can be easier to cast, especially in the wind as it is thinner and has more density so it is less effected by the wind.

jed

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi JK,

I use a full sinking line all the time for lake fishing and really enjoy it because it's more compact/heavier design lets me get an extra 10-15 feet of distance on my cast. It also handles wind more efficently (at least for me). I find it very easy to cast as long as you are willing to fish your fly most of the way back to the rod, which is a good thing to do in lakes anyway. You then have to make a couple more false casts to get your line back out for you next cast. The only place where you would run into any trouble with any sinking line is try to pick up 20-30 feet of line when the line is down deep. If you are already using a Type II successful, Type IV won't demand much change in your style at all. 8T

This is just my opinion, so take it or leave it. I have a type IV that I use on occassion, but I prefer hands down my Depth Charge (by Orvis, but others have the same stuff)
    It is 30 feet of lead core and 70 feet of intermediate. You buy it by the weight of your rod cause it is in Grains.
    150 grains for 5 / 200 for 6 / 250 for 7 etc.
    The line cast very easy and that 30 feet stays down on the retrieve.

I don't think the line is the problem. It's the fly.
    I fish this way alot and you need loosely tied deer hair flies, tightly packed hair turns into a bobber. It also helps to use some Xink or some other type of sink treatment on them to get them down. I use Xink and a split shot sometimes.

If you try to yank a "Sinking Line" (whether it is type 1 or type 4), you risk damaging or breaking your fly rod. First you need to raise the fly line to the surface, then you can recast.

To raise the fly line to the surface, use the "Roll Cast"! This will same your arm and your fly rod.

~Parnelli

Blog Entries

I use sinking lines from #ii all the way up to type vi line and have no problems with it they all cast about the same. It is my experience that most strikes happen as the fly nears the boat so I don't have any problem with trying to yank it out of the depths as I almost always only have about 15 to 20 feet out at the start of my casts . It does cast easier in a wind than floating line.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I find heavier lines (450grains and over) easy to cast. roll cast the line to the surface, 1 backcast and let it sail.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread