+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In Search of Program information

Default In Search of Program information

Surfing the web, I have found many articles concerning the teaching of fly-fishing to youth. Obviously, those camps and classes are great, but my search is geared towards education programs that bring the skill of fishing to adolescents that are within our legal system or chemical dependency treatment system. Does anybody have a link or reference point to help continue this quest?

They exist and I am sure you will see them on here soon.

Search for Eagle Village Fish-In on the board and in readers casts. Jack Hise has been involved in this program in Northern Mi. for a couple of years now and has involved others from the board also.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default That's ONE example

Thank you for the example of success and greatly appreciate the fact that fly-fishing does not segregate according to gender. Does anybody have another example? Truly it will take a minimum of five different examples to inspire my associates and help get the ball rolling.

I strongly suggest your problem is not the 5 programs but, rather your assocites. Replace five of them, or go off on your own, As an example, you are inspired and knew of no program. The key ellement is inspiration. Not guaranteed results.

We had a fishing day here in Western Mass. We set up 4 lanes and taught people how to cast in about 20 minutes each. Age and gender were non-issues. I think that everyone "got it" in that time and was able to lay out a 30' cast. (9' rod, 15' line and 6' leader).

We have a program that teaches fishing in four two hour classes that is run throughout the state. It is public access and has great responses. Part of this program can be/has been fly casting.

jed

Kathy Scott has a program which has been awarded kudos in the Maine schools, you can read about it here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... rc225.html
    She has developed a lesson plan which she will share with you.

Default Inspiration is Growing

Once again, thank you for the feed-back and information ! Please continue...

Meanwhile, let me provide some clarity about this quest. Every week, two new adolescents arrive at the facility of my employment. Equally, two have accomplished their stay and move forward in life. Sadly, it is common to see them return in a year or discover that they are one more statistic added to the list of gang activity, drug overdose, or state penitentiary. Needless to say, hope for their healthy future becomes dim as they pack up clothing, books/cards of encouragement, arts & craft items, and endless words of wisdom. Hence, the window of opportunity is narrow as related to their attitude/behavior and time for teaching is limited to less than 28 days.

Obviously, ?Eagle Village Fish-In? has the right ingredients as related to this quest. Truly, the organization of Family Tyes offers excellent information and Trout Unlimited has great suggestions; however, my associates are the first log jamb to navigate. Naturally, the next step will be approval from state agencies. Hereby, the more information of positive results will add to the collection of variety and eventually catch the approval of state endorsement.

http://www.familytyes.com/artman/publish/index.shtml

9. Default

See link below to Hooked on Fishing - Not on Drugs. I do not have any first hand experience with this program. It sounds like this program is designed as a preventative process as opposed to proving assistance to those already facing difficulty. Anyway, may provide some ideas or another example. Good luck.

http://www.futurefisherman.org/programs/hofnod.php

Default Five Flies (Stories) for the Box

Your help and the help from other bulletin boards has presented five programs/stories related to this topic. Obviously, your help is appreciated and with any luck one of the programs will obtain a bite. Where as, I think it is harder to fish for support and finances than it is fishing for hook wise Browns along a catch & release zone. Hopefully, I will learn the results in the near future and rest assure the progress will be posted.

+ Reply to Thread