After reading through the Cabela's and Orvis threads (not too carefully, I'll admit...) It seeemed that a lot of the replies had something to do with their local fly shop. Good or bad. Either they really liked the 'local' shop and felt that it needed support, or they disliked the local shop because it was too pricey, too snobbish, poorly stocked, or sold stuff that they didn't like.

So, what would be your 'ideal' fly shop?

I'll start.

My ideal fly shop would be right down the street from the house.

It would carry all the fly tying stuff I need or want, relieving me of EVER having to mail order anything.

They would sell rod building supplies and always have what I needed in stock.

They wouldn't sell gifts, clothing, or stuff that I don't buy there, except for when I need them to have a special item like a new fishing shirt or vest, and maybe a gift or two for friends, but only exactly the 'right' thing.

They would sell everything for the same or a lower cost than the catalogs, AND, because I'm such a good guy and loyal customer, they'd give me an additional discount (only 'me' though, so they can keep making money so they'd stay open).

The owner would always be there, so I wouldn't have to deal with hired help. It would be open early in the morning (for coffee) and stay open late so I could run up after dinner for that forgotten piece of material I need to tie the flies I just have to have for tommorrow..

Fly fishermen would feel comfortable hanging around just to talk, and they would never feel that the owner needed to handle other customers or do anything else while they were in the store but carry on a conversation about fishing (or whatever was the current topic of interest).

How about you? Whats 'ideal' to you?

Good Luck!

Buddy